City prepares for homecoming festivities

A sea of blue and gold takes over Greensboro, implicating that Homecoming’s here and preparations for the week are in the making.

A&T’s Homecoming always draws a crowd every year for a full week of events in the city of Greensboro. Alumni, students, and the city always prepare for this important event that triggers the city to be taken over with Aggie Pride.

Homecoming attracts an estimate of 15,000 to 30,000 people a year to its events. Steva Allgood of the Greensboro Convention and Visitors Bureau assembles a team every year to run out and provide information for the visitors who crowd the many hotels in Greensboro.

“We do our best to just provide everyone who is visiting with all of the information they need”, said Allgood.

Allgood and her team leaves brochures available in every hotel, put up welcome banners and help to accommodate the visiting Aggies as much as they can. They provide the best service to make sure that the alumni of A&T will keep returning every year.”At the end of the week, we hand out cards for them to save the date, so next time they can have their reservations set and have a great time”, said Allgood.Along with the Visitors Bureau, the A&T Police department also prepares for the excitement and extra numbers during Homecoming.

Major Kelly White of the University Police Department explained the preparations made to ensure a safe and fun week in Aggieland and Greensboro.  The A&T Police department increases the amount of security on campus and its surroundings to provide 24/7 protection.

“We increase security personnel, and in addition to increasing numbers we work with the Greensboro Police Department (GPD) during Homecoming week”, said White.White also explained the importance of students taking safety precautions to prevent any dangers.  Students should always be aware of their surroundings and walk with a friend no matter what.

“When walking to your car, you should always have your keys ready and available”, said White.

Along with personal safety, White warned about protecting collectables and property during the week.

“Larcenies increase during the Homecoming time, so people should always take valuable items out of their vehicles and secure them in a safe location”, said White.Alcohol is also another concern during Homecoming. White advised that students should be of age when consuming alcoholic beverages and also mindful of drinking and driving.Outside of the safety precautions, Homecoming is a time for everyone to prepare for excitement and fun, especially students.  Junior KJ Hudson explained how students should prepare for the week.

“You have to be in the mindset of Homecoming”, said Hudson.  “That means getting rested and having time because it’s going to be a long week.”Hudson also explained some expectations for this year’s Homecoming for the students and visitors.    

“All the shows should be on point, and a step up from last year”, said Hudson. “Hopefully the school and the city will be able to accommodate all of the people who come to Homecoming, so there will be enough space.”

A&T’s Homecoming is not just an event for the school. Homecoming represents a tradition for the city of Greensboro, but in order to make it a success the whole city has to contribute.

“It’ s such a great sight to see, the people are excited and it’s all about the camaraderie and enjoying the people”, said Allgood.

• Ashley Reid