Weekend review

We have been through a lot this year surrounding homecoming. This year’s Greatest Homecoming on Earth event has been clouded by drama within the SGA, objection to the concert lineup, A&T’s loss to Bethune-Cookman, and everything else in between. There were definitely highlights of this past week, which included hearing Dr. Maya

Angelou and Reverend Jesse Jackson speak, the comedy show with Kevin Hart and Lil’ Duval, seeing friends and alum, and a host of parties and other activities. However, the issues that A&T had internally took away a little from the week. For one, I was not interested in the performers of this year’s concert.

I have nothing personal against Gucci or Wacka Flocka Flame, but I did not want the concert to be so one-sided with the types of artists that attended. Sure there was Keri Hilson, Mario, and Trey Songz to balance it out, but I feel that the reason we had the artists that we did is because of how much money they would generate. Just because people say they want artists like Raheem Devaughn and Musiq Soulchild and want to see them at the concert, does not mean that those people will necessarily attend the concert.

The rest of the events had me excited (and even made me think we were going to win the game for sure). There was a poll on The A&T Register’s web site that asked what the best part of homecoming was. I answered that I love everything about it. From the shows and concerts to seeing family and friends who are now graduated and have come back to visit, I had fun just being a part of it all.

It was all particularly fun for me during my freshman year. Mostly because it was such a new experience for me and I was actually involved more than I was this year. The sounds, smells, and sights grasped my attention instantly, plus the celebrities didn’t hurt. I managed to take a picture with Fonzworth Bentley during the pep rally, get Hill Harper’s autograph during the parade and wave at Kerry Washington at the game. And for those reasons, I will never be able to forget last year’s Homecoming.

Was this year better or worse than last year’s Homecoming? I have heard that question circulating around campus in the days following. I found that a lot of freshman I know gained a better feel for A&T, especially since people come from far and wide just to be a part of it. Some of the returning students as well as a few staff members felt that while this year was good, last year’s was better. Maybe it had something to do with the pep rally. Or maybe it was the atmosphere or even the events. Whatever the case was, there were those who really loved it, hated it , or were stuck in the middle.

No matter what angle you look at homecoming from, it helps lift our spirits and to show the community that Aggie Pride is not dead. The perspective about this year’s homecoming does differ from person to person, but I feel that last week can be summed up by one statement that former Aggie, Terrence J, said on Twitter: “I survived A&T’s Homecoming.” 

• Noma Vilane