Are you dressing successfully for success?

Tis the season for job applications, interviewing and career fairs. After this past career fair, the record needs to be set straight about what and what not to wear.

Even though everyone has heard this before, and has seen the efforts of the various campus individual and organizations talk about dressing for success, this attire must be reiterated.

Ress Roberts and I share the same sentiments when he said “They expect a professional presentation, so they expect to see a ‘professional.’ Dress appropriately for the occasion, but don’t be one of the crowds.”

You may ask how I can do this. Although we are stressed to dress in neutral colors, be clean cut and wear minimal jewelry, it seems as though there is no individuality or standing out amongst the slew of people all reaching for the same goal.

Many are guilty of committing multiple fashion faux pas unknowingly, leading them to be looked over when it comes to an employer and creating a false first impression. For young women and seasoned females, Forbes Magazine has noted one of the biggest mistakes is showing too much cleavage.

In fact author Lynn Mass of “Fashion Secrets Mother Never Taught You” says “It’s distracting and inappropriate in a business environment.” It also leads to typecasting not only of your personal but professional business dealings.

Another mistake is loud colors at an inappropriate time. Many females will add a feminine touch of color to masculine business codes by wearing colors that are bright and distracting.

Color is fine, but instead of picking up that bright red or yellow jacket, try a pale green or pale burnt orange. If wearing a colored blazer, try to keep the uniformity of a suited look by wearing all black. In addition, make sure shoes and skirts are at an appropriate length. Knee length skirts and 3-4 inch heels are appropriate so that you do not have any Hilton or Spears encounters.

When spending time picking out your accessories and doing your hair, remember to keep it simple. Restrict your ring wearing to one ring per hand if you must have one on. Remove bangles that cause any kind noise or distraction while you are engaging in conversation.

Earrings should be studs and not be hanging or swinging while talking. Even your hairstyles should follow suit. Females should wear their hair in a neat bun or nicely pressed.

You don’t want people to be distracted by how “cute” or “different” your hair is while you are telling an employer why you are best suited for the position. If you have to double think anything when it comes to preparing for an interview, it is more than likely is not the best option. Allow your resume and answers to attest for your personality and not your material items.

Guys are bit different when it comes to preparing for interviews, but should not be viewed as non-essential. With men, it is usually the minor details that are overlooked, such as scuffed shoes, matching dress socks, not unbuttoning your suit jackets when you sit and wrinkled pants.

When it comes to deciding on what to wear, try to keep it basic. If you haven’t already started to invest in suits, please start. It will redefine how others view you. All men should own a grey, black and navy blue suit. This is the foundation to your success and shouldn’t be confused with “conforming” or being “boring”.

If you are on a budget, try to get colors that are still black, navy blue or grey, and wear them accordingly. This still does not excuse the fact that owning a suit would be your best option.

Where you “dazzle” is in your tie and watch choices. Try pairing your suit with a mute blue, green, mustard, or black solid tie. Stay away from ties with bold, multiple patterns and colors.

Every man should also own a watch. Invest in a watch. It is classic and speaks to the kind of man you are and strive to be.

As graduation, programs on campus, job fairs and holiday positions reign in, remember these tips and come prepared to impress allowing your resume and presence to speak volumes without turning everything else up, in the process.

• Deryck VANDERBILT-NICHOLSON, Contributor