Overcoming the rookie life on MTV’s ‘The Challenge’

Robb Schreiber is not your average “Real World” cast mate. 

The red haired reality star who made his first appearance on MTV’s “The Challenge” shows rookies should not be underestimated.

Schreiber did not see “The Real World” see in his future. 

“Most [castmates] have watched the show or they want something out of it,” said Schreiber. 

“I have actually never watched a full season of “The Real World,” but my mom is a huge fan of the show. 

She thought I would have more fun being on the show, so I went online and applied. 

The next thing I knew, I was on a plane to St. Thomas. 

I actually found out I made the show the day of my birthday.”

Schreiber’s rookie experience with his team, St. Thomas, was tough, but had that did not stop them.

“We weren’t the only rookies, but the only thing in their favor is that they had people on their team who were on other challenges,” said Schreiber.

Actually, no one even knew who we were because they didn’t play our commercial yet. 

People slept on us and took us for granted, but that played to our favor. 

It was bad, but at the same time it really benefited us.”

Everyone except Schreiber went through “The Challenge” with a strategy.

“I’m not the best with politics, so I tried my best to come through with the challenges. 

Marie takes a lot of credit. Marie is good with politicking and making friends. 

What we did was stay low, not be last place or win, and maintain our friendships.”

The challenges this year seem more brutal than previous years. 

“I can’t give too much away about ‘The Challenge,’ but one challenge that comes on in two weeks was one of the most physically demanding things I ever had to do. 

There was another challenge towards the end of the season that deals with jumping off the side of a boat. 

Anything that [dealt] with stamina and holding your breath, I kind of sucked at.”

There were many funny moments during “The Real World” which viewers will never  get to see.  

“There was a ferry to catch and there was a 14 drinks special,” he said.

“My dumb self downed it all down and ended up passing out on this sidewalk ledge. 

None of the cast or my roommates could find me. 

At some point, they found me in the bathroom and I was giving myself a pep talk. 

I blacked out but all I could remember is the camera crew having me in the audio room cracking up about my pep talk. 

We had a lot more fun than what was actually delivered.”

Even though his Challenge and “Real World” experiences are over, Schreiber still has big plans. 

“I just finished up my criminal justice degree and I am going back to school for my business degree.”

Take time out of Homecoming to watch “The Real World Challenge: Battle of the Seasons” every Wednesday on MTV at 10 p.m.

[email protected] and follow me on Twitter at @NecoleRitchie and @ClassyNell

• Necole Jackson and Jenell McMillon, Scene Editor and Senior Reporter