Senate may start impeachment process

The 42 Legislative Assembly could quickly make University history as the first senate to ever impeach an SGA President.

The SGA Student Senate convened for its first meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 23 in the Senate Chambers adjacent to the SGA office in the Memorial Student Union. While this may have only been the senate’s first meeting, they wasted no time in beginning the year on an aggressive note.

The senate members spent well over an hour questioning the decision of SGA President Syene Jasmin to appoint Octavia Ocean and Gary Brown as his parlimentarian and chief of staff, respectively. Questions surfaced as to whether Ocean and Brown were truly qualified for their position, as both did not seem to have much prior SGA experience.

After the heated discussion, the two were confirmed, and Jasmin left the chambers. It was after the meeting, when The Register asked the senate about the president’s actions on WXII News 12 earlier today, that things abruptly shifted.

Jasmin and Brown were on the news apologizing for inviting musical artists to perform at homecoming who they feel are tied to gang violence and murder. When the senate was asked what their response was to this, the chambers emptied and a vast majority of the senators reconvened in the SGA office next door to watch the video as it aired on live TV.

“We just did a (bad) job with these appointments,” Maurice Scott, District 1 Senator said. “I think our Vice President of External Affairs Travis Jackson did a good job of working diligently to select the homecoming lineup. This is a slap in the face of his integrity and integrity of the university.”

Scott said that Jasmin’s actions on the news were a violation of University policy, as he did not first seek permission to speak on camera with the media from the University, and that he did so knowingly by doing it off campus. Scott, along with other senators, also were frustrated that Brown was speaking on camera as the chief of staff when the senate had not even confiremd his appointment yet.

“My intention was to have a more diverse homecoming concert for everyone, not to bring questionable people to homecoming,” Jackson said.

Scott asked fellow senators who would like to begin the impeachment process to meet him at noon in the SGA office on Friday. If the senate does choose to impeach Jasmin, a three-fourths vote must be obtained, and a committee must be formed out of the senate to oversee the proceedings.

Numerous attempts were made to contact Jasmin for comment, but all were unsuccessful. Messages were left, but were not returned.

“The senate needs to do their homework,” Brown said when asked about he and Jasmin’s actions on Wednesday. “People have their own personal agendas against Syene. All the details of the actions that happened today will be straightened out.”

More details will be forthcoming as this breaking news develops.

• Dexter R. Mullins