Why the Lady Aggies will Top the Eagles

Although the Lady Aggies are coming off of a loss against Bethune-Cookman to end their six-game winning streak, they proved to be superlative after facing arch-rivals, the NCCU Eagles earlier this season. The team was tied in the number one spot with Hampton University before Monday night’s loss against the Wildcats. Fortunately for the Lady Aggies, Hampton’s team faced a defeat on Monday, reinstating the tie once more. Now, A&T shares the first place MEAC title along with Hampton and Bethune Cookman Universities.

The Lady Aggies will close their season on Thursday night against N.C. Central in Corbett Sports Center.

At the last Aggie-Eagle face-off, center and Raleigh native April McRae finished with 21 points and eight rebounds for A&T. Though her performance on the court was strong, it took time for the rest of the team to take control over the other team.

The Wildcats scored the next seven points, giving them the lead. The Lady Aggies need to show more consistency on the court in this week’s game.

When they face the Eagles this week, the Lady Aggies should enforce a game plan to give the ball to McRae in the post.

When the team played against NCCU earlier this season, McRae connected several shots and helped the Aggies take a lead at the end of the first quarter.

The Eagles came into the second quarter strong as NCCU forward Tisha Dixon entered with a layup and cut the Aggies’ lead. If the Aggies pick up on The Eagles came into the second quarter strong as NCCU forward Tisha Dixon entered with a layup and cut the Aggies’ lead. If the Aggies pick up on defense this Thursday, then they won’t face this problem again.

Guard Dana Brown topped off a 9-2 run for the Lady Aggies with a 3-point shot. With 4:00 left in the half, this gave the Aggies a 27-18 lead.

Brown continued to hit 3-pointers and gave the Lady Aggies a 11-2 in the second half, which increased the their lead to a 76-54 win over the Eagles.

If Brown can repeat her performance by hitting 3-pointers this Thursday, then they can take an even greater lead over the Eagles.

The Lady Aggies have won 11 consecutive games against the Eagles, and Coach Robinson is 7-0 against the team as well. If the Lady Aggies consistently maintain the lead that they had between the first and second half, then they will take the win. Although some mistakes were made offensively they still maintained the lead.

The Lady Aggies have what it takes to beat the Eagles as long as they stay consistent while on defensive and pick up their shot percentage from this past weekend.

Despite the loss earlier this week, winning on Thursday against the Eagles will secure a share of the MEAC regular season title for A&T.

• Alexis Wainwright – Sports Editor