What’s Next for the Last of the Dying Breed

North Carolina Agriculture and Technical State University is known for its excellence both in and out of the classroom. This same excellence and persistence is also demonstrated in on-campus clubs and extracurricular activities that many students support.

However, there is one extracurricular activity that will no longer be available to students: the Aggie swimming team.

The students who were members of the swim team will no longer be an official school sponsored team. Interestingly, out of the 105 historically black colleges and universities in America, there are only two HBCU’s that have swimming teams. N.C. A&T is no longer in this unique category.

Coach Shawn Hendrix has been a part of the swim family since 1999. She aims to help cultivate her swimmers to be great students who excel in their studies and give back to the community.

Hendrix’s past members from the swim team have be-
come businesswomen, teachers and entrepreneurs making A&T stand out even more as an all-black swim team.

Aarica Carrington and Jade Hill are both members of the swim team specializing in the freestyle and breaststroke. Both teammates’ favorite part of being coached by Hendrix is that she created a sisterly atmosphere, and helped teammates obtain scholarships.

Hill, a junior, discovered her love of swimming at 10 years old. She expressed that, being a part of the Lady Aggies Swim Team was like having another family. Even though they will no longer be a team, they will forever be a family.

Nevertheless, both swimmers believe that the underclassmen will still represent the team as a part of the athletic department.

“It really sucks to take away our swim team to add on other sports like golf and soccer for both men and women sports,” said Hill.

Carrington said that it is rather unfair because the decision was made without including the swim team’s input on the matter.

After grauation, Carrington plans to join the Coast Guard, and earn a doctorate degree in marine biology and early childhood education, while hosting swim lessons for youth.

After Hill graduates, she will also pursue a doctorate degree. She also aspires to be an entrepreneur in the hair and beauty industry, and eventually venture out to event planning and data analysis. Like her teammate, Hill will also continue teaching kids how to swim.

• Kassia McKain – Contributor