Traffic tips to keep everyone safe during back-to-school season

In many American communities, the end of summer signals an uptick in the number of cars on the road in the morning, as kids return to school and parents return to work after summer vacations. With more youngsters in vehicles – either teens behind the wheel, or elementary schoolers riding with parents or on the bus – driving safety should be front-of-mind for anyone on the road.

Before you climb behind the wheel, wave goodbye to your teen driver or drop your younger child at the bus stop, it may be a good idea to review some vehicle safety basics with your family:

* Buckle up – Parents should ensure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt or rides in an age-appropriate car seat or booster seat. Children less than 40 pounds and younger than 4 should be in a safety seat in the back seat. Kids 4 to 8 and heavier than 40 pounds can use a booster seat. Safety experts recommend that all children younger than 12 ride in the back seat, where they are safest. And lead by example – make sure kids see that you always buckle up in the car.

* Back up wisely – Before you leave the garage or start backing down the driveway, turn around and look back to make sure no one is walking or riding a bike behind your vehicle.

* Go cell-less – You are four times more likely to get into an injury-causing crash if you use a hand-held device like a cell phone while driving, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Don’t talk or text while driving, and make sure teen drivers know the cell phone should be stored away while they’re driving the car.

* Slow down – Obeying posted speed limits and traffic laws is essential when practicing automobile safety. Pay especially close attention to school zones and reduced speed limits when school is back in session. Many school zones have reduced speed limits during certain times of the day when children and other cars are more likely to be present.

* Respect the bus – Watch for school buses. Stop for buses with red flashing lights, as they are either loading or unloading children who may need to cross the street in front of you. Watch out for kids playing and congregating at school bus stops.

* Set boundaries – Make sure your teen driver understands the rules of your household, as well as the rules of the road – no speeding, texting, talking on the cell phone or otherwise distracted driving, and limit the number of other children or teenagers allowed as passengers in the car.