Defending his title

This is in response to The A&T Register’s Editor in Chief Dexter Mullins’ article entitled “Seriously, what in the Pan Hell?” that was issued last week on April 7, 2010. First and foremost, I think it’s fair for one to believe that I would not be 100% committed to my presidential duties while being initiated into a fraternity.

Interestingly, I shared some of the same feelings in the past.  However, after serving as the SGA President during the 2009-2010 academic year, the fact remained that I was also a student. 

As a student, I wanted to join an organization so that I continue to be the progressive change agent that I was as SGA President.

I think there are many misconceptions about joining a fraternity. Many people believe that it is very time consuming and can eliminate other duties in your life. While these facts may be very true, one of the main lessons taught in every greek letter organization is the essence of time value.

Before having the title of SGA President, I am Syene Jasmin; a student.  Like any other human being, there are some personal things I must fulfill for myself. My decision to become SGA President did not come with the expectation to join a greek letter organization, nor should this be anyone else’s goal.

As SGA President, the students are always first and the members of the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma can attest to this notion. Before I began my process, I made sure I would be able to attend all of my scheduled meetings along with delivering SGA goals.

In fact, I was able to help launch two very important initiatives during this time including a political awareness committee entitled “The Movement Incorporated” and a weight loss initiative entitled the “1891 Pound Challenge.”

Both of these initiatives required me to make many appearances in scheduled dorm storms in our residence halls along with appearances at the New Fitness Center. While I may not have been able to attend every meeting or return every correspondence during my initiation period, I have never been informed of a student that attempted to get in contact with me that couldn’t.

My love for A&T and my position goes further than the confines of this campus; I take the position of SGA President and hold it dearly to my heart.

I am aware of the power of this position on campus as well as the community, which even forced me to sacrifice the time during the initiation period to attend City Council Meetings as a member of the student initiative entitled the Spirit of the Sit In Movement Initiative to address the issue of the White Street Landfill.

What drives my passion is not the perks that are associated with the position. But what drives my passion is that freshman at A&T that may be a little unsure about his/her future with all the challenges associated with being in college, but instead finds optimism in their opportunities.

We all have struggles to overcome, and as SGA President, my goal is to help lessen the struggles students attain at A&T and that’s where my heart will always be.

I appreciate our Editor In Chief raising this issue, but until one can say I completely neglected my constitutional duties, I think it’s unfair to say that the best interest of the student body was not in my heart when I decided to join this great organization. -Syene JasminSGA President 2009-10 

• Syene Jasmin