Hopefully The Last Exorcism

“The Last Exorcism” may have been the worst of the exorcism movies.

It develops very slow and leaves you somewhat dumbstruck when it’s over.

The movie follows a camera man and audio woman who film a pastor for a documentary their doing on exorcisms.

The pastor, Cotton Marcus played Patrick Fabian, performs a fraudulent exorcism on this young girl, Nell played by Ashley Bell, who he believes is really suffering from some type of mental disorder.

Once he collects his money for the act, he soon realizes that the girl is actually possessed by a demon.

The subplot of this 16-year-old girl being pregnant also adds to the intensity.

It is compelling to watch the entire movie because of the first person account which leaves an element of surprise, but then the ending is a let-down.

Every time the action seemed to come to a peak, it calmed down. The movie finally reached a climax at the end, but ultimately the main characters never really reach a resolution.

The one positive thing about “The Last Exorcism” is that it was unpredictable. It was hard to predict what was going to happen next.

If this movie didn’t leave the viewer with so many questions at the end it could have fared better.

So, what happened to the pastor? What happened to the girl? What happened to her father? Don’t be surprised if you hear a boo or two when the movie ends as people are left asking themselves these questions.

“The Last Exorcism” gives the viewer that ‘there’s a part two’ feeling, but the only problem with that is this was supposed to be the ‘last’ exorcism.

Maybe the title shouldn’t be taken so literally.

If you are a fan of action-packed movies, this isn’t for you because it develops way too slow, but it does have an element of suspense and intrigue for those who like to connect the dots.

Grade: D+

• Prince Askew-Grimes