Four auto repairs you should never put off

Have you ever ignored that rattling in your engine in hopes it would go away? Or pretend you were imagining that hesitation as your car shifted gears? You’re probably not alone if you’ve put off having a possible car problem checked out for fear of how much it would cost to fix.

But from an automobile safety standpoint, it’s always a good idea to get a problem with your car checked out as soon as possible. If you’re concerned about auto safety, you shouldn’t risk a tire blowout or having your brakes go out on the freeway. And most of the time, getting something checked out early will save you money in the long run, even if the costs of repairs inflict some initial pain.

You may not be a car expert, but by following standard safe driving practices when it comes to car maintenance, you can save yourself some money and be a safer driver. Here are four easy-to-spot auto repair issues that you should never ignore:

* Cracked windshield. If you have a minor crack or chip in your windshield, it usually costs in the neighborhood of $60 to replace. But if that crack spreads and your whole windshield must be replaced, it can cost more than $300. Then there’s the safety factor. A cracked windshield can not only obstruct your view of the road, but can also compromise the structural integrity of your car.

* Squealing brakes. Squealing brakes often mean your brake pads need to be changed. They usually cost $100 to $200 to replace. But by ignoring the problem, you may also damage your brake rotors, which can cost four times as much as pads to replace. And we all know it’s not safe to drive on brakes that might not be working properly.

* Regular oil changes. Changing your oil regularly is perhaps the simplest way to prevent other costly repairs. Consult your owner’s manual for how often you should check and change your oil on a regular basis. Not regularly changing your oil can contribute to engine failure, which could also put you in danger.

* Keep your tires in good shape. Rotate your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles to ensure your front tires don’t wear more quickly than your back tires. Check your treads and sidewalls for cracks, wear and punctures on a semi-regular basis. Driving on worn out tires can cause you to lose control of your vehicle due to poor traction or lead to a dangerous blowout.