Computer Labs

In every dorm across the campus of North Carolina A&T live computer labs designed to assist students who may not have access to one. The number of computers varies from dorm to dorm, but what remains the same across the board is how the rules are created and enforced.

“We provide the location, and Information Technology (IT) does everything else,” said Assistant Director of Residence Life Vanessa Woodard. “We really have no jurisdiction over computer labs.”

Every dorm has set hours for which the lab can be open. In Cooper Hall the computer lab is open from 8 a.m. to midnight, while in Pride Hall the hours are from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. The variations of these times are due to the fact that the housing directors, with input from students, determine the hours for their respective dorms.

“The decision for hours is up to the housing director. However, students work with them to create them,” Woodard said.

Housing directors also have authority over whether a computer lab is opened or closed. Reports of abuse to the lab — such as misuse of the equipment, excessive trash, or stolen property — can cause the director to shut down the lab for an indefinite amount of time.

“Sometimes there are residents who are in the computer lab to just be on Facebook, while another one needs to use it for school reasons. Homework trumps Facebook, so I politely ask them to leave so we can make it fair for everyone,” said Tony Tyson, senior business management and business education major, and the resident assistant for Cooper Hall.

Barbee Hall recently closed its computer lab due to complaints of excessive amounts of trash and stolen property. Although it is closed for student residents, it is not closed to the RAs of the building.

“It’s still open for us,” said Brooke Waller, junior public relations major and resident assistant for Barbee Hall. “We open it, and then lock it back after we’re done. As a student, too, I feel it’s a little unfair for those who used the lab properly, especially those without computers.”

Some residents of the dorm told the RAs that they should just fine and ban those who were caught on camera misusing the lab. Despite their plea, nothing happened because the cameras were not working.

In the event that a computer is broken, or in need of repair, it is reported to IT and they take care of the problem. There is an IT representative that is responsible for each resident hall on campus.

“They need to fix two computers in Vanstory,” said Laron Wise, freshman marketing major.

“I have my own, but not everyone does. All the computers need to work properly.” 

• Kelcie McCrae