Ways to stay productive when working from home

There is no greater fulfillment of the American dream than the chance to work at home, as nearly 50 million workers in the U.S. already do. Working at home usually entails setting your own hours, setting your own earning potential and spending more time with your kids, spouse and family. If you telecommute or own your own business, there are a few essential things that every stay-at-home worker must have. Use this checklist to determine how to best organize your lifestyle when working from home.

Security:

In order to protect your assets and investment for your home business, including your computer, finances, and important documents, it is wise to consider making the investment in a home security system. It’s also necessary to invest in antivirus software for your computer, as computer security issues become more prevalent. If you’re having problems hearing visitors or potential intruders around your home, get a free hearing test in your area. Solutions like a digital hearing aid or a trip to an ear, nose and throat doctor may help you feel more alert and safe in your home office.

Computer:

You will need a laptop or PC to conduct business on, manage payroll if you operate a small business and to do the family finances. Your laptop or PC is probably also an integral component to your work, with many people, such as writers and Internet marketers, doing their work entirely online. Set yourself up with a secure Internet connection and a reliable printer, and be sure to have an emergency tech support number to call in case you should need it.

Office supplies:

A selection of pens, pencils, and paper clips may be needed to make corrections and keep track of hardcopy. Though the world is increasingly paperless, having some typical office supplies available will save you a trip to the store at the last minute and make you look and feel more professional.

Time management:

A person working from home must have the ability to focus for long periods of time with no outside forces pressing upon them, and nobody looking over their shoulder. This is one of the bigger challenges of working from home, but it is well worth it. It helps to make out a schedule, either on your computer or in longhand, for setting aside time to work. It is even helpful to schedule your own lunch breaks and to set aside time for things like laundry and cleaning the house. People who come from corporate environments who are used to a structure and a set schedule may find that it works better for them if they continue to adhere to a schedule, so that they have clear-cut goals in mind to accomplish the amount of work they need to each day.

Eating well:

Especially important is making the time to eat a good, nutritious breakfast, which will help balance your body’s blood-sugar levels and give you that initial burst of energy that your mind and body desperately need. Eating protein-heavy foods, especially through several small meals a day, can help you stay focused. Exercise is important, so taking a jog through your neighborhood or investing in a stationary bike can help counteract the hours you will spend sitting in front of your computer.

Following these suggestions can help set you up for success in your home office and help minimize time-stealing distractions. Staying on task and being productive will be easy once you’ve got all your ducks in a row, and working from home will live up to its promise.