Culture, cuisine and nature: The best-kept secrets of Myrtle Beach

(ARA) – Some travel destinations become universally known for one particular attraction or a certain set of activities. Myrtle Beach’s reputation as a family friendly sunshine spot — perfect for golfing, relaxing on the beach and splashing it up at the water park — is well established. People visit year after year, having experiences that become real vacation traditions. However, travelers in the know are telling their families and friends — there’s a lot more to this classic fun-in-the-sun destination.

Whether you’re visiting Myrtle Beach for the first time, or looking to add something different to your annual getaway, delve a little deeper and you’ll be thrilled by all that the destination has to offer.

Culture and history: History buffs and art lovers, rejoice — you could spend an entire vacation hopping from one cultural attraction to the next in Myrtle Beach. For an avant-garde arts experience, the free Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum, is the area’s premier contemporary art museum — but if your tastes lean toward the traditional, you’ll still find plenty to admire here. If you always find yourself wanting to take home the art you see, make sure you plan your trip to include the First Saturday Art Walk in Conway. It’s an interactive experience occurring the first Saturday of every month in the nearby community of Conway, during which you can meet artists, see them at work, and pick out the perfect piece to hang above the mantel.

The history of the South comes to life in a number of historic homes that can be toured — Hopsewee Plantation is one example. The former rice plantation dates back to 1740 and was owned by Thomas Lynch Jr., a signatory of the Declaration of Independence. You can also tour Mansfield and Wedgefield plantations and follow up with a visit to the Horry County Museum or L.W. Paul Living History Farm for even more fascinating insight into the history of the Myrtle Beach area.

Cuisine: The culinary scene in Myrtle Beach is a meeting of the modern and the traditional. The indigenous regional cuisine is truly unique, from the Calabash-style seafood — hopping fresh and lightly fried — to the traditional Low Country fare that is one of the hallmarks of the Gullah community in the southeastern coastal states. But for every classic recipe, there is a new gourmet interpretation ready for your indulgence. It’s easy to mix up your menu to include the greatest culinary hits of the Myrtle Beach area — search out the beloved holes-in-the-wall, then follow it up with a fine dining experience at chef-driven local restaurant. Add to it a visit to Hyman Vineyards where you can sample local muscadine wine, a tour of tasty destinations with Grand Strand Culinary Tours or cooking classes at the Brentwood Restaurant, and you’ll have a vacation your tastebuds won’t soon forget.

Nature: The natural beauty of the area is undeniable, and plenty of visitors take in the scenery as they settle in on the beach or tee up on the golf course. But, again, Myrtle Beach has more than meets the eye. Brookgreen Gardens captures the beauty of the region and adds to it with beautiful gardens and more than 500 sculptural works displayed throughout the grounds. Brookgreen also features the Lowcountry History and Wildlife Preserve and offers visitors the opportunity to visit varied ecosystems by boat or by foot. Hobcaw Barony is another strong option for those interested in seeing more of the area’s natural diversity. The 17,500-acre wildlife refuge that is currently used for teaching and research in forestry, biology, wildlife conservation and more, in connection with the colleges and universities of the state of South Carolina.

While taking a family vacation should mean a good bit of rest and relaxation is in order, choosing a site rich in history and culture makes for a more memorable getaway. For more information about planning a trip to Myrtle Beach and seeing its hidden cultural, culinary and natural treasures, go to www.visitmyrtlebeach.com.