Beachy-keen tips for summer sun and fun

(ARA) – There are few better ways to celebrate the summertime than by spending the day outdoors at the beach or pool. But, as anyone who has gone home covered in sand and fruit punch stains will testify, a day at the beach is not always as carefree as it sounds. Prevent beach burnout by sticking to the following tips:

Sunscreen: Sure, you’ve heard it a million times, but it bears repeating: apply sunscreen every time you plan to spend the day outdoors. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using a sunscreen that:

1. Is water resistant.

2. Has an SPF of 30 or higher.

3. Provides broad-spectrum coverage against both UVA and UVB rays.

Apply sunscreen to dry skin 15 to 30 minutes before heading outdoors, using 1 ounce (approximately enough to fill a shot glass) to cover all exposed areas of your body.

Sunburn treatment: In case you missed the sunscreen tips above (or simply happen to burn easily), try to keep in mind the following tips from WebMD for sunburn treatment:

* Try cold compresses with a damp washcloth. It will help soothe the inflammation and make you feel a lot better.

* Drink plenty of water! Dehydration often results from prolonged sun exposure, so do your best to replace what you lost.

* Take a cool, but not cold, bath. Avoid using oils, perfumes or bath salts – the chemicals could potentially irritate your skin.

* Find an aloe-based lotion, and apply it to the sunburned area. Aloe naturally cools and soothes irritated skin.

Towels and clothing: Make sure to bring along an extra towel or two, just in case one of the kids decides to take theirs into the water with them. And remember to bring along an extra T-shirt or pair of shorts should your beach trip continue on into the evening when temperatures dip. Also, consider bringing a pouch for storing jewelry and other accessories to prevent them from being lost. Otherwise, you may find yourself having to use a metal detector to find lost items.

Stain solutions: Sadly, lifeguards aren’t on duty for stain emergencies. Be prepared to be your own rescuer and load up on laundry know-how by checking out Clorox’s Summer Stain Hotline (1-877-STAIN-411). Available 24/7 throughout the summer months, the Summer Stain Hotline allows you to select from a list of common summer stains (sunscreen, salad dressing, ice cream, etc.) and receive expert advice from Dr. Laundry.

If you can’t find your stain on the hotline, you are sure to find it on Dr. Laundry’s blog (drlaundryblog.com), or you can download myStain, a free new application for your iPhone, iPod Touch or Droid smart phone, which keeps a remedy for every fumble, spill and dribble right at hand.

Courtesy of ARAcontent