Golf exhibit comes to A&T

Epochs of Courage: African Americans in Golf,” a multimedia traveling exhibit with historical photography and memorabilia dating from the 1800s into the new millennium, will open Tuesday, April 24, at the Mattye Reed African Heritage Center and H.C. Taylor Art Gallery. It will run through June 4. “The astounding images tell a moving story describing the frustrations and achievements of African Americans in golf,” said Ramona Merriwether, the guest curator. “The memorabilia and custom designed figurines bring it even closer to life.” The exhibition will open with a private reception on Monday, April 23. Attending the reception will be Dr. Calvin Sinnette, author of “Forbidden Fairways: African Americans and the Game of Golf.””It will be a great honor to be in the city that has played such an important role in the history of black golf where such important pioneers as Dr. George Simpkins, Elijah Herring and Joseph Sturdivant, who suffered so much and were among the few who actually went to jail for their principled stance regarding the participation of blacks in the game of golf,” Sinnette said. Sinnette will have a book signing at the reception.”Epochs of Courage: African Americans in Golf” is a project of Young Players Golf Society. This exhibition is made possible through support from the N.C. A&T State University Foundation.For additional information, call (336) 334-3209.