Televised game kicks off conference play

Tomorrow the Aggie football team will open conference play with a televised game on ESPNU against the Bears of Morgan State. This game will be the first televised football game for the Aggies since Oct. 28, 2010 when they lost to Bethune-Cookman 67-17.

Thursday’s game will mark the 78th time in history the two teams have played each other. Morgan State leads the series 40-34-3 since 1930. A&T won in the last match up. Mike Mayhew recorded 26 carries for a career-high 233 yards and a touchdown which resulted in a 24-3 win on the road at Hughes Stadium. In this weeks game he could break the all time rushing record after 11 years of 2,812 yards previouslu set by running back Maurice Hicks.

With 22 seniors on its roster, Morgan State returns three of its top rushers from last season Travis Davidson, Tracy Martin, and Brian Mann. Davidson currently leads the MEAC in rushing and also ranks No. 5 in the MEAC scoring. The Aggie defense is ranked No. 3 in total defense limiting opponents to 215.7 yards per contest. They will be sure to put a stop to the offensive line.

Last week Morgan State lost to Akron 66-6 making them 1-2 overall. A win for the Aggies would make them 1-0 in the conference and 3-1 overall.

–[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @LifeCreating

• Symone Kidd, Sports Editor