Life Skills: Finding balance in college

Laci Ollison- Word Editor

Monday: Class from 9:00 to 9:50, work from 10:00 to 5:00, and then I spend the majority of the evening in the newsroom working on this newspaper, leaving at around 8:00 or 9:00 at night, sometimes later.

Tuesday: Classes back to back from 9:30 until 3:15 pm, after which I stay in the newsroom until at least 8:00 finishing up the newspaper.

Wednesday is a repeat of Monday, except I usually have two meetings after work at 5:00.

Thursday is a repeat of Tuesday, with the addition of the college bible study that I teach at my church.

Friday consists of class, work, rehearsal with my youth choir (which I direct), and editing a few papers.

Saturday I am back at my church once again for rehearsals and meetings. I arise early Sunday morning to teach Sunday school and then to direct our choir during regular worship service. In addition to this busy schedule, I also fit in time to attend events and meetings held by my job after hours, do my homework, go over my lessons for bible study and Sunday school, mentor the students in my ministry and manage to have at least a few hours a week to devote to my personal life.

This is my life every single week. At times I wonder what I am doing with my life. I experience a roller coaster of emotions throughout the week; from stress, to excitement. In addition to the fact that I have hereditary chronic migraines, my headaches are more frequent because of my hectic life. I have moments where I want to quit everything and just go to class, eat, sleep, and hang out like a normal college student.

But I stop myself and realize that this is the life that I chose. And I could not imagine it any other way. Everything that I do brings me such fulfillment and joy. The late nights and early mornings, headaches, high blood pressure, sore feet, and stress are all worth it.

Finding balance has been one of my goals since I took on these responsibilities within the past few months. Recently I was in a conference for young professionals when one of the session facilitators made a statement that lit up every single light bulb in my brain, and removed some of the weight from my shoulders. She simply said, “Finding balance is impossible.”

This statement gave me reassurance. It made me realize that I can have this life, run around all week like I have my head cut off, and that is okay. It ceased the search for balance and stability that I was currently on. I began to realize that no matter what, life goes on. And if all of these responsibilities are things that I want to do, then I can do it.

I don’t have the life of an average college student, and that is alright. But what I do have is a life full of fulfillment. I have a life that is meaningful in which I am able to serve and give back to those around me.

-Email Laci at [email protected] and follow her on

twitter @laci_ollison