Recent Aggie find employment depsite bad economy

I recently interviewed three recent North Carolina A&T Graduates to find out how they landed their current job and have adjusted to their transition into “real-world” of working.

I first interviewed 22-year-old A&T Alumni Shaun Collins who is currently in the Contract Management Leadership Program within GE Aviation.  He graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance in 2009.

What lead you to your current role? – To put it in one word determination, when I was graduating college we were and still are in a bad economy. However, I took advantage of every opportunity that came my way and landed a good job after attending an information session on campus.

Did you use any online resources? – “I think www.Swagvest.com is a great way to get people that are young like me to become interested in networking and managing their money. I have found other young people like me on the website are young, professional and successful.”

What comes to your mind when you think of Investing? – Making your money work for you, instead of you working for it!

What advice would you give to someone still in college? – “If I was talking to someone who is still a student I would say, most importantly; try to figure out what it is that gets you up in the morning and you are passionate about.”

Secondly, I got the chance to interview Tiara Hicks – a 23-year-old Operations Support Coordinator with Shell Oil Products U.S. in Houston, Texas.  She is a 2010 graduate of the School of Business at North Carolina A&T University.  

Why did you choose the career you are in now? – I like to think that my profession chose me. In college, I had the opportunity to intern twice with another oil company allowing me to gain a lot of experience in the petroleum industry.

Graduating with a B.S. in Business Marketing with a focus in Global Studies, I felt that Shell offered me the best opportunity to use my major within an industry that I had already been exposed to. Furthermore, Shell is completely dedicated to the ongoing professional and personal development of its employees. This is something that I valued as well. Nonetheless, I felt that working at Shell would be the perfect fit for me!

Are there any resources you would recommend? – www.swagvest.com is an awesome venture and I think it highlights the importance of having a plan! Often, I see too many young adults lost on this ride called life. A plan is imperative! Now I must admit, things hardly ever go as planned, but just having one for your future is half the battle. Stick to what you love, understand yourself and your personal limits, and most importantly discover your passion in life. Never give up. Let what people tell you, you can’t do, be your motivation. Keep God first and you’ll always prosper!

Lastly, I got the opportunity to talk with Jon McCoy, 2009 Alumni with a Bachelors of Science Mechanical Engineering

What is your current profession? –  Nonprofit program manager for Operation HOPE’s FIVE MILLION KIDS INITIATIVE?

What would you tell a student still at North Carolina A&T University? – One piece of advice I would give to an undergrad in college is to discover what on earth you are here for.  Identify a problem/cause you care passionately about and pursue it wholeheartedly. Lastly, do not get caught up in a false image of success.  Many people who are lauded as successful by our society are very far from it.  There is a difference between being rich and wealthy.  Understand that difference and determine what you are going to pursue.  Prioritize relationships—with God, your significant other, family, and friends.  When you seek God first everything else naturally falls into place

In closing, conducting these three interviews taught me that networking and following your passion is very important in today’s economic environment. Furthermore, these three Aggies from very different professional backgrounds can teach us all something different about landing the starting position we desire once we graduate school.

In addition, to being great students academically these Alumni taught me that you have to be an all-around student that gains experience outside of the classroom. Therefore, being involved in student organizations, getting internships, working outside of the classroom and joining Greek organizations can all make you a more valuable employee to a potential employer. No longer is it an option to do the previously mentioned activities outside of the classroom, but a requirement.  Another attribute that these recent Alumni have in common is that they did not let one person’s “NO” keep them from following their goal of being gainfully employed once they graduated.

• Ed Johnson