Welcome home, Chancellor

North Carolina A&T installed its 12th chancellor, and first Aggie alum, on Friday, Apr. 23 in the Corbett Sports Center. Before the actual installation, there was a series of events throughout the week that helped to celebrate the theme of this year’s installation, “North Carolina A&T: Making a Difference.”

The week began with a community service initiative of A&T students planting trees and installing light bulbs in local area housing developments. Earlier that day, the chancellor read to elementary school students.

The Lyceum Series Committee sponsored a black film festival on Tuesday, followed by a ladies luncheon that honored A&T first lady Davita Martin on that Wednesday. Later that evening and earlier the next morning, there were two panel discussions about HBCUs reaching out into the community and how they make a difference.  Thursday evening culminated with an Afro-Cuban jazz concert.

The Chancellor’s Installation Lyceum Series hosted “Making A Difference: Rhythms of the African Diaspora, ‘The Message in the Music,’ ” at 7 p.m. in Harrison Auditorium. The event was sponsored in part by WNAA 90.1 FM.

Gail Wiggins, a Journalism and Mass Communications professor at A&T, served as the master of ceremonies. 

A short video called “The Jazz in Us” was played to set up the concert and explain the theme.  Wiggins interviewed Delfeayo Marsalis and Mondre Moffett before their traditional straight-ahead jazz performance.

Marsalis, the trombonist and member of the legendary Marsalis jazz family, discussed the significance of Afro-Cuban jazz today.

“Dance is universal and Afro-Cuban jazz brings that element to the music that most other genres do not. There has been a communication breakdown within African Americans and we have to bring back the definition of dance so we can ‘shake that thing’ like they did back in the day.”

Moffett, trumpeter and the director of the Jazz Ensemble, talked about “engoma,” an African tradition where drums bring the power that drives the performance and can also be used for talking.

Friday morning was the official installation day. UNC-System President Erskine Bowles presided over the ceremony.

“Martin is not only from A&T, he is of A&T. He knows this institution inside and out,” Bowles said.

A black tie gala Friday night ended the weeklong schedule of programs and festivities. Martin continued the mission of “Making a Difference” the following day by leading the area’s March of Dimes walk.

• LaPorsha Lowry& Dexter Mullins