Double Standards in everday life

Double standards have become everyday factors within our lives.

Why have we allowed such a thing to happen? Do they really exist or are they a simple figment of our imagination?

Society deems it acceptable for men to sleep with multiple women without it being a problem. However, women with numerous sex partners are ostracized. Females are not the only ones who should be passive. Considering the rates at which STDs are spreading, one would expect promiscuity to decline. Guys are not invincible from STDs, so what makes them think that this is okay?

Double standards go both ways.

Females think it is acceptable for their girl friends to call them a b****, but when a male uses the word it is offensive. Better yet, why is it a compliment when males put bad in front of b****?

Putting bad in front of the word does not make the meaning any friendlier. It simply means you are a bad female dog. Today, adding the word bad has become a compliment. What ever happened to using beautiful, pretty, cute, or gorgeous to express a woman’s beauty?

The use of the “N” word is also controversial. Some people use it because of the environment in which they were raised. The term is used interchangeably with the phrases “my brother” or “my sister.” Bill Cosby touched on the subject saying, “use of the N-word is a kind of self-degradation by blacks, which illustrates a certain lack of self-regard or racial pride.”

African-Americans think it is appropriate to refer to each other as n****, but when a white person uses the word, they become angry? Honestly, it should not be acceptable for blacks or whites to say. We should be past that phase of American history. The term is slang for what slave owners used to call slaves. Why do we continue to degrade ourselves by using negative language?

Love is blind and has no race, shape, size, or gender. In America, we are free to do as we please. Just because people of the same gender decide to share love, it does not make it a crime. Although, some homosexuality as a sin. I was always told, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say it at all” and “if it’s not hurting you, then don’t hurt it.”

Some people have a negative view of public displays of affection in general. People have a tendency to dismiss heterosexual couples that express public affection, but find it offensive when homosexuals do the same thing. These people are expressing their love, and have no intentions to hurt or offend others.

These are just a few of the most common double standards we encounter. Why do we allow these things to be acceptable? All of these double standards should go both ways. Females should not be viewed negatively for their sexual preference. No one should use the “b” word. African Americans should not use the “n” word toward each other without expecting others to think they can as well. Homosexuals should be able to express public affection without being criticized. Double standards should be done away with.

• Shantelle Slotts