A&T welcomes new administration

There have been many changes to the administration at North Carolina A&T State University for the 2010-2011 academic year. The new administration are charged to uphold the vision, mission, and history of this institution, working towards a productive and prosperous future for students and the community alike.If the job sounds like a big deal, it is because it is.    Enrollment is at an all-time high and the task of managing over 10,000 students for this academic year presents new challenges for university leadership.Significant changes have been made at the higher levels of administration. The hierarchy of organizational structure at North Carolina A&T indicates that below the Chancellor Harold Martin Sr., there are six Vice Chancellors.For the 2010-2011 academic year, four of these six positions are new appointments. This includes the newly appointed Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Dr. Linda T. Adams, as well as the new Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Dr. Melody C. Pierce.In the spring of 2010, the position of Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs attracted a lot of attention, when former Vice Chancellor of Students Affairs Dr. Sullivan A. Welborne, Jr. retired.  On Feb. 8, Dr. Judy Rashid, the Dean of Students, was appointed to be the Interim Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs until Chancellor Martin’s appointment, Dr. Melody Pierce, took over the responsibilities of the permanent position a few months later.”She is the ultimate professional and student advocate who will strengthen our focus to holistically develop young people into successful, contributing citizens,” said Chancellor Martin, in support of Dr. Pierce.Similarly, the position of Provost and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs found itself experiencing a shift in leadership mid-semester of last academic school year, when Dr. Alton Thompson stepped down as the Provost and Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs.The other two new Vice Chancellor appointments include the Interim Vice Chancellor for Research and Development, Dr. Celestine Ntuen and the Interim Vice Chancellor for Information Technology, Ms. Barbara Ellis. Chancellor Harold S. Martin, Sr. also welcomes a new Executive Assistant to his cabinet, Ms. Pamela M. Moffitt. The organizational structure goes on to make clear that the next level of the university hierarchy connects the Vice Chancellors down to the deans of the various schools/colleges. Out of the eight schools and colleges at A&T, three will have newly appointed interim deans for this school year. An interim position means no permanent personnel has been appointed to fill the position. The three schools include the School of Education, the Graduate School and the College of Arts and Sciences, which is the largest academic unit at A&T.What do all of these changes mean for the student body?In the Faculty/Staff Institute Address, which is available for all students to view on the university website, there are outlined seven university priorities for 2010-2011 set forth by Chancellor Martin.The priorities are to improve the intellectual climate of the university, improve operational effectiveness and efficiency, enhance the university brand and image, improve campus/community safety, enhance innovative use of technology, recruit and retain top talent and to enhance visibility and marketing of intercollegiate athletics. Each priority has objectives and core focuses for execution. All of these priorities directly affect the student body, as it is the core functioning for any educational institution.Note that there is an $8.6 million budget allocated for this academic year. By the first of September, all six of the aforementioned Vice Chancellors will be required to submit “divisional priorities,” which ideally should be in alignment with the university priorities.   Sherry Ross, a senior Journalism and Mass Communications major shares here expectations and suggestions for the new administration.”I expect overall growth in all areas across the campus. I just want to see more professionalism.  A&T is a good institution to go to, but the way they run things is messy,” said Sherry Ross, a senior Journalism and Mass Communication major.  “I want to see better organization, the institution try to help more students get money and not act like it is their personal checks being given out and try their best to help all students. I want to see them more available to the students. I want to leave here and come back being able to continue to say that this is a great institution. I want to know that A&Ts main priority is doing everything they can do for their students because right now I don’t feel like they are.”   As the university brings in this academic year with refreshed goals, new students, and new administration, it is a reminder that everyone is responsible for the success of this university and accountability is imperative. The complete list of new appointments for the 2010-2011 Academic Year totals over 200 EPA Deans and Faculty, EPA Non-Faculty and Staff members combined. This list is available in Murphy Hall in the office Student Affairs. 

• Alessandra brown