Stroll Competition ends in dismay

A sold out crowd of students and guests came to Moore Gym on Jan. 27 for the fifth annual Stroll Competition presented by the Zeta chapter of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., hosted by chapter members, Adrian Brand and Austin James.

The four National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) sororities along with NPHC fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc and National Honorary band fraternity and sorority, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma competed in the battle for the best strolls on campus.

In addition, nursing sorority, Chi Eta Phi and Perishing Rifles also competed in the stroll competition. Since Iota Phi Theta was hosting the event, they could not participate.

The stroll competition followed the same rules and regulations as of last year but this year they added a panel.

“We decided to add an panel this year to make it more fair and for it not to be so bias with the crowd reaction,” said December 2010 graduate from North Carolina A&T and spring 2009 initiate into Iota Phi Theta, Marcus Robinson. “It would be more equal to everybody,” Robinson added.

The first round of competition consisted of each organization performing to a song of their choice.

Alpha Kappa Alpha performed first, followed by Kappa Alpha Psi, Zeta Phi Beta, Perishing Rifles, Chi Eta Phi, Kappa Kappa Psi, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho, and Tau Beta Sigma.

Some of the songs chosen included “6 foot 7” by Lil Wayne and “Bring It Back” by Travis Porter.

Second round, a random song was played for each organization to perform to. A technical difficulty with the DJ occurred leaving National Honorary band sorority, Tau Beta Sigma to finish their stroll to the crowd reciting “Roman’s Revenge” by Nicki Minaj.

After the second round closed, the third round begun with each organization having to perform to the same song, “Black and Yellow Remix” by Wiz Khalifa featuring Snoop Dogg, Juicy J and T Pain.

After each group performed there was a brief intermission in which the Iota’s performed their signature, “Centaur Walk.”

To further extend the intermission, all the organizations including Alpha Phi Omega, Omega Psi Phi, and Phi Beta Sigma performed their individual strolls.

After the intermission, James announced that there will be a final stroll off between Alpha Kappa Alpha and Zeta Phi Beta but forgot to announce that the stroll off was for second place and not first.

“It   was  a   miscommunication between the judges and Austin James on the final round,” said spring 2010 initiate into Iota Phi Theta, Moyo Olusesi.

After both groups performed, a sound meter was used to determine the winner based on the crowd reaction.  

James announced that the Zetas came in second place, which gave Alpha Kappa Alpha the perception that they won.

Unfortunately, James clarified that the first place winner was Delta Sigma Theta.

“First place was already decided that the Deltas won,” said Robinson.

“We tallied up the scores through crowd reaction, creativity, and precision,” Robinson added.

“Through the three judges score sheets, the Deltas won and the AKAs and Zetas were tied,” said Olusesi.

The final verdict for the stroll competition is Delta Sigma Theta, who came in first, received a $500 prize followed by Zeta Phi Beta with a $250 prize. On the fraternal side, Kappa Kappa Psi came in first and Kappa Alpha Psi came in second, both receiving the same monetary prizes.

Overall, the event was successful, some attendees felt otherwise. “It was very confusing and misleading,” said sophomore Biology major, Jasmine Brown.

“It was like an embarrassment to everyone who thought they won,” Brown added.

The first place winners’ organization name will be on plaque that will sit in the office of Greek Life for a whole year.

“The turnout was incredible and a huge success. Hopefully next year we can make it bigger and better and host it in Corbett,” Robinson added.

• Jonathan Erik Veal