Meek Mill’s album is ‘Worth the wait’

Meek Mill showed listeners that there is more than just a Maybach to his music.

He proves he is self-made on his major label debut album “Dreams and Nightmares”.

With his two previous mixtapes, “Dreamchasers 1” and “Dreamchasers 2”, the anticipation of this album’s release was well warranted.

After releasing mixtapes, some rappers choose to channel different audiences with their music, thus transforming their sound and style to please the masses.

Meek Mill is not a typical MC. He sticks with his established sound and refuses to divert by any means.

This album showcases Meeks style and plays to his strengths.

The album begin with “Dreams and Nightmares Intro” a subtle, smooth melodic flow in which he introduces heaven and hell emulating rap styles of Lil Mouse from “Get Smoked” while captivating the swagger of French Montana, creating a melting pot of creativity that only Mill can tap.

Rick Ross has proven that he is Maybach Music Group’s MVP, but Mill may have surpassed Rozay.

The advent of ripping every track as if it is his last has catapulted Meek Mill to success throughout the years.

Meek Mill takes his personal stories and channels them into tracks such as “Traumatized,” where Mill speaks of the murder of his father and the loss of close friends while living in inner-ciy Philadelphia.

“You made my momma cry/so when I see you n**** its gonna be a homicide,” he says.

He illustrates the realities of street life and his ambition for  success.

Meek Mill never fails to provide a club banger, with tracks like “Young and Getting It” ft Kirko Bangz and “Amen” ft. Drake.

He also shows appreciation for being afforded the opportunity to enter the rap scene and his love for  music.

Listeners may be impressed by his aggression and stories of love, drugs, violence, and ambition.

What impresses fans the most is the way he always shares his story of hardships to triumph with motivating tracks.

One for example is “Maybach Curtains” ft. Nas, John Legend, and Rick Ross.

His least unimpressive track is “Lay Up,” where Trey Songz gives a painful, unimaginative, drawn out metaphor of a chorus saying, “She be trying to lay up all night/but I swish, I don’t miss.”

Wale accompanied with his horrendous verse, “In her body, in her head/like quote, unquote.”

On Mill’s track “Believe It” ft. Ricky Rozay, he huffs and puffs on a catchy chorus that overshadows Mill’s ability.

“Selling that Miley Cyrus from my Monte Carlo/I got that Justin Beiber please believe me.”

This strategy is usually acceptable for new upcoming rap artists, but let’s hope Meek does not use these features as a crutch.

This 14-track album only scratches the surface of Meek Mill’s skills.

Meek is not giving his fans everything he has to offer, but it might just be worth the wait.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @ATRegister

• Brie-anne Robinson, Staff Reporter