Moms know best when it comes to savings

(ARA) – She’s the one who comforts you after a hard day and always has a word of encouragement. But as much as mom knows about getting through life’s bumps, she also knows how to get the most out of life. And as generations of kids have discovered from generations of moms, she’s also the one who knows how to find the best savings.

Today, moms have more and more ways to be savvy about their home budgets. Saving habits that grandma might have started with her Great Depression-era resourcefulness evolved into finding ways to save online or using new technologies. And for modern moms, savings mean more than just money. It’s all about time, too, particularly as the season warms up and the family wants to share more moments together – having fun while school’s out.

Keep these mom-approved smart savings tips in mind to make your household budget stay in line.

* Get in on the conversation. The Internet has changed the way we share information, even with people we don’t personally know. Moms from across the country – and the world – connect online to give each other advice and tips. In public discussion spaces, like the P&G Everyday Solutions Facebook page, moms can join the conversation with other shoppers who are looking for new ways to get deals on trusted brands and be savvy about their shopping.

* Go green. It wasn’t long ago that the idea of “going green” meant spending money on unusual technologies, but the green scene has totally changed. Now, making more eco-conscious decisions translates to stretching your dollar further. Items like compact fluorescent light bulbs and low-flow faucets have come a long way in terms of quality, and they can make a major cut in your utility bills over time. Plus, you’ll be doing the earth a favor by consuming less. Learn more about saving water, saving energy, and reducing waste by visiting www.futurefriendly.com.

* Look for coupons in places where you least expect it. A great place to look is right on the packaging of your favorite products. For instance, where available in certain retail store locations, Procter & Gamble’s specially marked packaging of Align, Bounty and Charmin products are offering moms the opportunity to try other quality brands that can add up to $40 of savings.

* Click and compare. Shopping online has made a major difference in terms of time savings, and you can use technology to make smarter choices. You can start by doing price searches for the items you want, and tools when you online shop make it easy to compare prices at a glance. The next step is to compare shipping costs – some vendors offer lower item prices and recoup the expenses in shipping fees. Once you find the item you’re after at a good price and at the shipping rate you want, search for codes that might help you save some extra cash or could even cut out shipping completely.

Everyone has something to thank their mom for, whether it’s help with homework, being a one-woman cheering section or getting those grass-stained jeans looking like new again. But giving mom some extra thanks for keeping the household budget running smoothly is a good idea, too.