Throwback! Homecomings of the Past

While a lot of students are getting ready for the Saturday’s Concert, it is important to take a step back.

In the past many popular acts came, saw and conquered the Greatest Homecoming on Earth. 

A few acts that came to perform for the Greatest Homecoming on Earth, were James Brown, The Dynamics, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Tupac, Outkast, and a Tribe Called Quest. 

In 1971, James Brown and his band performed at N.C. A&T. In a crucial time  when Aggies needed to come together, Brown ignited the crowd with his smooth moves, and soulful messages. 

Many Aggies found themselves chanting Aggie Pride for keynote speaker Dick Gregory in 1973. Gregory, a famous civil rights activist, and comedian came to get the Aggies ready for a win against Morgan State.  

There was a huge infatuation with Afro’s and Funk in 1976. It was a year when the Funkadelics combined melodies of funk, culture changing Afros, and Aggie Pride; An attempt that satisfied the students during that time.

In the 1980s, Kool and the Gang, made an appearance during homecoming.  The Gang provided the crowd with sensational and modern pop-funk music. 

In 1983, Evelyn “Champagne” King, showed the Aggies why she is considered to be one of the greatest R&B artist to ever touch a microphone. 

Beverly & Maze wanted to get a sense of Aggie Pride, so they decided to perform at the 1986 Homecoming Concert. They gave the Aggies a taste of that Northern Philadelphia flow. 

Queen Latifah came back to show appreciation for Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Latifah learned the chant Aggie Pride before leaving in 1990 & 1993.  

Chris Tucker, and Rosa Parks are two different people with two separate agendas. While Aggies received knowledge from Rosa Parks, they sat back and got a couple of laughs from the comedic Chris Tucker, in 1995. 

Dipset and Camron, came to perform their hits in 1998. Dipset is a hip-hop music group that included Jim Jones, Juelz Santana, and Cam’Ron. While they yelled “Dipset,” they made sure to throw up the N.C. A&T sign. 

West Coast Rapper, Snoop Dogg made an appearance in Greensboro, N.C. to show the Aggies the “Doggystyle.” Snoop Dogg brought the Southside Chicago native rapper Common in 2000. 

Before Drake and Nicki Minaj became the critically acclaimed superstars of Young Money, they were on the Campus of N.C. A&T trying to show the Aggies how Young Money really gets down. Lil Wayne has made numerous of appearances for Greatest Homecoming on Earth.

After last year’s concert including Juicy J, Kelly Rowland, J. Cole, and T.I. It will hard to follow up after such a diverse group of talents, but N.C. A&T made an attempt to go above and beyond with this year’s lineup consisting of  Rich Homie Quan, Lil Boosie, Migos, Cash Out, and Future.  

—Follow us on Twitter at @theatregister and email him at [email protected]

• Dominique Moody, Register Reporter