Can you get life insurance without a medical exam?

So you want to buy some life insurance, but you’re not really happy about the idea of enduring a medical exam to get it. You’ve seen ads for life insurance without an exam, but you wonder if they’re for real. The answer is a qualified “maybe.”

Whether or not an insurer will ask for an exam, and what that exam will entail, depends on a number of factors, including:

* Your age

* How much coverage you’re asking for

* The type of coverage (term or whole life) you want, and

* How you answer a series of questions on part of the insurance application.

If you’re younger than 40, in good health and applying for term coverage of less than $100,000, you might not need to have a medical exam to secure insurance coverage. If you’re older than 40, have some health problems, are applying for whole life insurance, or term life insurance in excess of $100,000, many life insurance companies will ask for a medical exam.

Most insurance exams are done by paramedical professionals who make an appointment to see you at your home or office. Although the particulars of an exam may vary based on your age, the health information you provide, policy amount and the insurer’s requirements, most will include a blood test and urine sample.

If a company requires you to submit to a medical exam before finalizing your term life insurance quote or whole life insurance quote, Wikihow.com offers these tips to help you prepare for the exam:

* Ask for an appointment first thing in the morning and try to fast for four to eight hours before the exam time.

* Be ready to provide the names and dosage amounts of any medication you take, and the name, address and phone number of all doctors you see.

* At least 24 hours before your exam, restrict your intake of salt, sugar, caffeine, alcohol and high-cholesterol foods.

* Stop smoking. If you can’t quit cold turkey, try not to smoke at least 30 minutes before the exam.

* Try to get a good night’s rest the night before and avoid strenuous exercise within 24 hours of taking the exam.

To secure the best life insurance rates, it may be necessary to take a medical exam. But understanding what the exam’s about, and what life insurance companies are looking for can help you be better prepared.