Big changes in both basketball programs

While Coach Patricia Bibbs made HBCU history this year by getting 500 wins here at A&T she has decided to resign as the lady Aggies basketball coach. Bibbs announced last Friday that she would be taking the position as head coach at Grambling State University.

It may not come as a surprise that Bibbs would return to Grambling State, her alma mater and where her college coaching career began before coaching at Hampton University and A&T.

“I was upset but I understand that everybody has a calling and other important things that have to been done,” said rising senior guard, JaQuayla Berry of Bibbs.

“She came and did what she had to do or said she was going to do now there’s other things she has to take care of.”

“There are not enough words to express my gratitude for all Aggie Nation has meant to me and my family. At this time in my life however, I want to be closer to my immediate family,” said Bibbs to WFMY News “I’m looking forward to the fortunate opportunity I have to coach at my alma mater again. I will miss the A&T fans and my players so, so much, but I will cherish all the outstanding memories we shared.”

Not only did Bibbs make history this past season she has been making A&T history since she arrived. With her as head coach the lady Aggies became the MEAC’s premiere team winning three consecutive regular season championships.

In 2009, she coached the lady Aggies to a MEAC Tournament win which advanced them to the NCAA Tournament as a No. 14 seed. In 2010, the team won their first two games of the 2010 postseason Women’s National Invitation Tournament, and became the first Division I HBCU to do so.

“We had the privilege of being in the presence of a true college basketball coaching legend,” said Earl Hilton. “We are honored that many of coach Bibbs’ milestones were achieved at A&T. Those moments will always be a part of our storied history.

Grambling State University ended its 2011-2012 women’s basketball season with an overall 15-15 season and an overall 10-8 conference season.

“I hope the next coach is caring and a go getter…not willing to take any mess. Coach Bibbs leaving means that the next coach will have some nice sized shoes to fill. We are losing a true leader,” said Berry.

Also, as reported on March 28, the men’s head basketball coach, Jerry Eaves, was released from his duties and a new coach will be sought to take over the program.

Last Friday, Director of Athletics, Earl Hilton, announced the hiring of Cy Alexander, a Winston-Salem native, to be the new head coach of the Aggie men’s basketball team.

Alexander is no stranger to the MEAC conference bearing five tournament titles.

“I’m grateful and honored and thankful to chancellor Martin and Earl Hilton for giving me this opportunity,” Alexander reported to the Winston-Salem Journal.

Alexander, a long time coach at South Carolina State University, was also the head coach of Tennessee State University until 2009 and the assistant coach at Howard University back in 1976 where his time in the MEAC began.

“We haven’t met with coach Alexander yet but he has a very impressive resume and my teammates and I are sold,” said DaMetrius Upchurch, one of seven rising seniors on the team.

By his second year, Alexander broke the school record for wins, won their first MEAC tournament title and advanced to the NCAA tournament.

“The goals and objectives for our men’s basketball program are clear,” said Hilton. “We want an inspired program… As an A&T family, we believe Cy Alexander has both the knowledge and the wisdom to help us achieve these goals and objectives.”

Along with Alexander’s team accomplishments, he has personally received MEAC Coach of the Year three times and in 1996, he was named American Sports Wire National Coach of the Year.

Alexander is projected to be a coach who can build up a winning team and be a tough competitor in the MEAC but his background does not erase the factor of team adjustment.

“It’s going to be difficult to make an adjustment at first because we are so used to coach Eaves,” said Adrian Powell, also a rising senior, “but if we work hard day in and day out, we will be the team we need to be.”

An official news conference will be scheduled to formally introduce Alexander as the new men’s basketball coach in the near future and the players will meet with him today.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Symone Kidd, Register Reporter