Does your family have a fire escape plan?

How many times have you watched the evening news and seen a teary-eyed firefighter commenting on the loss of a family member who died in his bed because the family didn’t have a smoke detector? It happens more times each year than you’d like to think.

Each year more than 3,500 Americans die and 20,000 more are injured in house fires, according to the United States Fire Administration, (USFA). Many of these unfortunate incidents could have been avoided if families only had a smoke detector and a plan of escape.

If you are one of the many Americans who has no plan in place, consider this your wake-up call. Remember, when fire breaks out, time is the biggest enemy and every second counts.

1. Gather members of the family together and practice how you would escape from each room in the house in the event of a fire. It is best to have two ways to get out of each room. If you have screens or security bars on the windows, make sure parents and kids alike know how to release them and get the windows or doors open. Perform window maintenance if latches stick or the windows are painted shut.

2. Make it clear to everyone in the family that their lives are more important than their material possessions. If the house is on fire, they need to get out immediately and leave all their belongings behind.

3. Never open doors that are hot to the touch. There may be a fire on the other side.

When you come to a closed door, use the back of your hand to feel the top of the door, or the doorknob. If it feels hot, use your secondary escape route. If the door feels cool, open it carefully just in case there are flames nearby.

4. Designate a meeting place outside and take attendance. If everyone has agreed to meet at the same place, you’ll know immediately if someone is missing.

5. Practice good preventive maintenance in your home to keep family members from tripping down the stairs while trying to flee from a fire. Landscape maintenance also is a must, especially if family members have to climb out windows – you don’t want them getting stuck in the bushes or a tree.

6. Once out, stay out. Never go back into a burning building for any reason. If someone is missing, tell the firefighters. They are equipped to perform rescues safely.

If you do become the victim of a fire, remember you are not alone. The American Red Cross has a number of resources available to help you recover emotionally and financially, and to eventually handle household repairs or to rebuild.