Taking heartburn off the menu this barbecue season

(ARA) – With summer just around the corner, calendars will be filling up with barbecues, picnics and trips to the beach. Unfortunately, these warm-weather activities may go hand-in-hand with heartburn. And with more than 50 million Americans suffering from frequent heartburn (symptoms occurring twice or more weekly), that adds up to a lot of post-barbecue blues.

While a little burning is expected when you fire up the grill, Dr. Michael Rahmin, a leading gastroenterologist based in the New York Metropolitan area, says that if you follow some simple, at-home guidelines, you may be able to avoid the burning sensation in your chest.

“By making a few simple adjustments, you can enjoy the barbecue season and help keep your heartburn at bay,” says Dr. Rahmin. “Don’t miss the parties this summer, just protect your stomach both before and after you hit the grill.”

Dr. Rahmin recommends the following tips for a healthier, happier barbecue season:

Don’t overdo it. Smaller, more frequent meals help optimize the digestive process. Eating big portions can put more pressure on your stomach and lead to heartburn. Remember that the next barbecue is probably around the corner so be reasonable about portion sizes.

Watch out for triggers. If you are prone to heartburn, be cautious when considering certain foods that are known to cause problems, including caffeinated drinks, alcohol, chocolate and spicy, fatty foods. Barbecue alternatives to consider include lower-fat dogs instead of traditional beef hot dogs, or make your burgers with lean ground turkey. With the right condiments, it’s hard to tell the difference. Since all stomachs are not created equal, also be aware of your own personal triggers and try to cut back or at least avoid them late in the evening.

Let gravity help. Although that hammock may be calling your name, keep away after a big meal. To help your food digest properly, stay in an upright position rather than lying down after you eat. The natural force of gravity helps with the digestive process.

Keep your medicine cabinet stocked. If you are a frequent heartburn sufferer, try an over-the-counter (OTC) medication like Zegerid OTC, an OTC proton pump inhibitor (PPI). PPIs work by deactivating acid-producing pumps in the stomach, offering 24-hour relief of frequent heartburn with one dose per day. For more information and tips to avoid heartburn, visit www.ZegeridOTC.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent