Elliot qualifies for Olympic Trials

After being hit by a car, breaking his femur, spending almost an entire summer in the hospital, and a year in a wheelchair, senior Jarrell Elliot has still managed to qualify for the 2012 Olympic trials.

Currently ranked 12th in the nation in the 400-meter dash, he is the only person in A&T history to qualify for the Olympic trials when he ran 45.87 in A&T’s Friendship and Freedom Games last weekend.

He met the B qualifying standard for the Olympic trials (46 seconds) after being convinced by his teammates to sprint the entire 400 meters.

“They were getting on me and said I hadn’t really been running the race like I was supposed to,” said Elliot. “They always said go for it instead of sitting back for half of the race because I think I’m going to die,” Elliot said as he laughed.

“So I ran out there and gave it my all and ended up [running the best time I’ve ever ran.]”

“The Olympics only come every four years and for him to qualify for the trials is great and [representing] our school is a great thing too,” said James Daniels, director of track anf field programs.

Growing up in Winston-Salem with seven siblings, Elliot has always had a competitive edge.

Elliot was a late bloomer in track and field initially competing at Parkland High School specifically in preparation for football season.

“He was pretty bad when he started as a sophomore. I think he actually quit and came back to run seriously his junior year,” said Antoine Hughes as he laughed. Hughes was Elliot’s high school track and football coach who also ran for A&T under Daniels for a year. It was after junior year that Elliot decided he was going to stop playing football and focus on track.

Although Elliot is excited about his accomplishment he is more focused on Sunday when he will run the MEAC Championships.

“Now he’s got the confidence he needs and we know he can run a lot faster,” said Earl House and Darryl Williams, Elliot’s relay teammates.

Elliot is going into the conference championships ranked No. 1 in the 400 and No. 1 along with Williams, House, and Torrance Womack in the 4×100.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KayRob_

• Karmen Robinson, Sports Editor