The absolute hottest tech gift ideas for 2010

This holiday season, tech gifts are not just popular, they’re expected. Whether you’re buying for your husband, your children or even your parents, new technologies are available to suit their needs. A far cry from Tickle Me Elmo, this year’s hot gadgets offer the latest in connectivity and speed, which consumers have come to expect. Whether shopping online or in-store, be sure to check out this holiday season’s hottest tech gifts.

Tablets: The granddaddy of this genre, the iPad, is still the frontrunner in tablet sales, but several other manufacturers have produced tablet offerings this holiday season. Verizon and Google have partnered to release a talked-about tablet of their own just in time for gift giving. High on the wish list of any student or workaholic, tablets operate much in the same way as a laptop, without the bulk. Apps are available for playing games, editing photos and even streaming video, which make surfing a breeze with one of these sleek gadgets.

Mobile broadband Internet: For those who still prefer the capabilities and keyboard of a laptop, the gift of high-speed mobile Internet access may be perfect. Usually accessed with a small USB-ported receiver, mobile broadband speeds can be faster than most landlines. Companies such as Clearspot 4G offer 4 gigabyte speed, practically unheard of until recently. For those on your list looking for a reliable, on-the-go connection, mobile broadband may be the solution.

HDTV and 3DTV: Each year has advances in television technology, and this year is no different. Perhaps two of the most hyped tech advances in decades, 3DTV and HDTV, are all the rage this holiday season. While a 3D set may be less than affordable, HDTVs are becoming more so and may be a great gift to consider. Advances in HD include sets that are now Internet-capable, the most notable being Sony’s Google TV. Available everywhere, these TVs not only feature impeccable picture quality but fully functioning Internet browsing capability. These items make great gifts for the more tech-forward members of your gift list.

Connected Blu-ray: Blu-ray has slowly but surely asserted its dominance in the digital video sphere. Featuring the best picture quality available, Blu-ray is further setting itself apart by pairing with video services, downloaded through an Internet connection. Players like Netflix and Blockbuster have partnered with Blu-ray to connect TVs digitally to vast catalogs of videos. Purchasing a connection bar for someone often also gets them access to online radio services such as Pandora, available to stream through TV speakers.

E-readers: While last year was truly the market breakthrough for e-readers, this year provides many more options. Retailers retaliated against tablet offerings by making today’s e-readers more affordable and easier to use than ever. Borders, Amazon and Barnes and Noble all offer their own version of a reader, with Barnes and Noble’s “Nook” being the most controversial and hyped. Make sure the reader you choose offers all the functions needed as all e-readers are not created equal.

Forget stale fruitcake and new dress socks, tech gifts are what everyone really wants this year. Retailers have begun pricing their gadgets affordably and making them easier to understand, adding value to already-desirable gifts. When you head out to the mall or start your online search, don’t forget this year’s list of what’s what in the technology sphere.