A Grand Canyon tour gives you a glimpse of a wonder of the world

For a relaxing vacation, heading to a tropical beach might be the right choice, but for those seeking the adventure of a lifetime – without leaving the country – there’s no better option than a Grand Canyon tour.

A worldwide vote held to determine the Seven Natural Wonders of the World saw people across the globe clamoring to nominate the spectacular sites of their respective countries. And while there were plenty of nominees from North America, few stood a chance against the Grand Canyon. Unsurprisingly, it made the cut and was established as one of the seven wonders.

Those who have not yet been on a Grand Canyon tour may have trouble imagining the majesty that made it such a shoo-in for the honor. A Grand Canyon tour will not only show you one of the most beautiful landscapes in America, it will also provide you with the experience of a lifetime.

For those who want more than the standard experience, a Grand Canyon tour, led by a trusted company like Tauck, will give you additional insights and out-of-the-ordinary opportunities to delve into the landscape and history of the area, each Grand Canyon tour is led by a local, expert geologist. Savvy travelers have also discovered that the cost savings of going on Tauck’s Grand Canyon tour can be as much as 40 percent, when compared to independent travel.

The Southwest region, in which the Grand Canyon lies, also offers an extensive array of other stunning natural sites that shouldn’t be missed. Luckily, many of them are close enough to be a logical inclusion on a Grand Canyon tour.

Sedona, Ariz., is the gateway to red rock country, and a drive through its dramatic formations is the perfect primer for a trip into the canyonlands of the Southwest. The trip through Sedona’s Oak Creek Canyon winds through the landscape before setting you en route toward for your Grand Canyon tour.

Adventure abounds on each Grand Canyon tour, one of the most dramatic ways to see and experience the beauty of sights like Lake Powell, one of the largest man-made lakes in the world, and the red rock country that surrounds it, is by air. It’s an opportunity that shouldn’t be passed up, and tours from companies like Tauck give you the opportunity to observe the scenery from the air without having to arrange a flight on your own.

One of the most iconic landscapes in all of America is Monument Valley, which provided the backdrop for countless Westerns and cowboy fantasies. Its red rock buttes just up out of an austere desert landscape, and the history and ecology of the area, which is part of the Navajo Nation, is unlike any other place in the world.

To round out your Grand Canyon tour, a visit to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park demonstrate that no part of America’s canyon lands is exactly the same – each is completely unique in its own arresting beauty. During your Grand Canyon tour, a guided walk or hike in the region (which can be tailored to meet almost all ability levels) is the best way to get unmatched views and better understand the nature of the canyons.

While the world certainly has no shortage of enticing travel options, America’s natural beauty – exemplified by the Grand Canyon and the areas surrounding it – is one of the best reasons to explore your own backyard.