Strengthen your resolutions with mussel power

(ARA) – Another new year and another round of resolutions are upon us. If you’re like most people, you reflect back on the last year, or years before, and think of the resolutions that somehow you didn’t quite achieve.

In fact, statistics show that less than 10 percent of us actually achieve our resolutions year over year. And after six months, less than half of us are still sticking to our resolutions. So knowing the odds are against us, how do we possibly stick to our plan?

Well if your resolutions involve health and nutrition, registered dietitian Lois Ferguson offers some tips.

“Planning your meals a week at a time is a great way to ensure you’re sticking to your program,” Ferguson says. “This way you can ensure you’re working in healthy options and good nutrition for every meal.” Ferguson also suggests adding foods high in nutrients to your meal plan, such as fresh blue cultured mussels.

“Fresh mussels are such a great option for healthy meals,” she says. “They are packed with vitamins and nutrients while being low in saturated fat. They are also fun and easy to prepare – a nice bonus for the busy cook at home.”

“By planning your meals in advance you’ll know what food you need to purchase, picking up ingredients a day or so before you’re ready to serve them. So having a plan will also save you time at the supermarket.” Ferguson suggests adding the recipe for Arriba Mussels to your meal plan this winter.

Arriba Mussels

Number of Servings: 6

Preparation Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds fresh cultured blue mussels

1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped

1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed

1 tablespoon black pepper, cracked

1 teaspoon roasted whole coriander seeds, crushed

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup salsa

3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

Instructions:

Stir the fresh blue mussels in a colander while rinsing in tap water. Set aside for a few minutes. Tap any that are open and discard those that don’t close in response to the tap.

Place shallots in a large wide saucepan with lime juice, pepper, coriander and butter. Bring to quick simmer over medium to high heat (about 1 minute).

Add fresh blue mussels. Pour wine and salsa on top. Cover, reduce heat to low and steam mussels just until cooked. Discard any mussels that do not open.

Arrange in a large bowl. Add fresh cilantro to broth, add sprinkle of sea salt if necessary, pour broth over mussels and serve.

“Farmed mussels are much more than a pleasure to serve, they are a power house of good nutrition,” says Linda Duncan, executive director of the Mussel Industry Council. “If you make it a routine at your house to serve them once a week, you’ll feel good knowing you’re giving your family a low fat meal that is good for them and the ocean. Farmed mussels are a super-green seafood packed with good nutrition.”

The Canadian Mussel Industry Council website (www.discovermussels.com) is home to recipes, tips on how to cook and prepare Atlantic Canadian mussels and information on how mussels can be a part of your healthy living plan in 2011. Also featured on the website is a chance to win a trip for two to San Francisco.