Love the way you lie’ tells no lies

The song opens with the words, “just gonna stand there and watch me burn that’s alright because I like the way it hurts.” Eminem’s music video for his latest single, “Love the Way You Lie”, has been stirring up controversy in the media.

The music video, which stars Eminem, Rihanna, and Meghan Fox, shows a couple in a domestic violence situation. When I first watched the video, I did not see anything wrong with it. Then the next day, I saw all these headlines bashing the video and I was very puzzled by what people were saying.

Many critics have said if there was a PSA saying that domestic violence is not acceptable then the video would be appropriate, but without one it’s “glamorizing” domestic violence.

Randy Susan Meyers from the Huffington Post said “We see one long rationalization about how two people caught up in alcohol and sex flame out a passion-soaked burn. That’s the song you kids will be humming and dancing to while they watch a glamour-drama of domestic abuse amidst.”

Although there are scenes that show the couple arguing, pushing, and then passionately kissing each other, I feel like this video would not encourage anyone to want to be in a domestic violence relationship.  The topic, which hits home for both Eminem and Rihanna, is very unfortunate, but in reality it happens to a lot of people. I feel like the song will help bring awareness to the issue.

Even lines from the song such as, “and the more I love her the more I suffer” and “you’re the same as me when it comes to love you’re just as blinded” attempts to tell listeners that this is not how love should be.

For the record, I do not think that domestic violence is right and love should never hurt. But, music is supposed to be an outlet for people to express themselves and for their listeners to be able to relate to them.

Eminem is one of the best rappers of our generation and I applaud him for being so personal in his music. He is known for pushing the boundaries and rapping about subjects that people are too afraid to touch. I think that the public just wanted to place the blame of domestic violence on him instead of going after the abusers in domestic violence situations.  

People have to be more open to discussing these types of topics.  Society cannot sweep this issue under the rug like it does not exist. It seems they just want to bash Eminem for simply speaking the truth.

Domestic violence has taken place way before “Love the Way You Lie” was even recorded. I do not feel that Eminem is “glamorizing” domestic violence, but instead trying to get the public to understand it from someone who has experienced it.

He is raising awareness not promoting it. The public is unfortunately trying to make someone the face of domestic violence and right now that person is Eminem.

• Sejal Chappell