“Rebellious Soul” Fights against Critics

K. Michelle recently released her debut album, and it fits the name. The raw lyrics, sleek beats, hard-hitting bass lines, and sweet melodies are enough to make  women everywhere want to live out the lyrics of the song. The combined musical elements creates a story that reveals a K. Michelle that fans do not get to see on the VH1 television show, Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta.

In this album, listeners get a little taste of everything from smooth R&B, Hip-Hop, heart wrenching love ballads, and even some comedy. Michelle starts the album with a bold track, featuring MMG artist Meek Mill, “My Life,” detailing the struggles that she experienced being from the rough streets of Memphis, Tenn. Michelle reveals why she may come across as aggressive on television and how much she had to fight to get to where she is now. Her drama-filled character on Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta may cause some to speak negatively about her, but her album proves that she is a talented artist.

No matter how bad listeners may want to resist, they will find themselves grooving to songs like “V.S.O.P.’’ Michelle shows her softer side on Debra Laws’ 1981 track, “Very Special,” a lovey-dovey, mid-tempo track.

Her anthemic tracks like “Can’t Raise A Man” and “When I Get A Man,” speaks for those women who have been taken for granted and neglected by their lovers. The tracks also speak to those who have yet to find that special someone. Surely, the lyrics are repetitive, but each song conveys a different message. Of course, Michelle could not skip out on expressing her sexuality with her raunchy lyrics on “Pay My Bills.” On a softer note, Michelle closes out the album with “A Mother’s Prayer,” a sweet track devoted to her son, stripping away all the noise and simply singing what is in her heart.

Though Michelle’s work may not be considered Grammy nominee material, this album is a strong start to what could be a very successful music career. It debuted number two on the Billboard charts and sold roughly 70,000 copies during the first week.

These results are in no comparison to the likes of Beyoncé, Rihanna, or Kelly Rowland, but the album did well after being delayed for so many years. Lyrically speaking, her raw style is entertaining, but is not always appealing. With a bit of polishing, it is likely that K. Michelle will blaze the charts. As of now “Rebellious Soul” rests at a solid B.

• Danielle Spottsville, Contributor