TBS win brings the return of the underdog

Aggie Fest continued with the National Pan-Hellenic Council Step Show in Corbett Sports Center at 7:30 p.m. on Apr. 15. The tradition continued this year despite the cancellation of last year’s NPHC step show.

Eddie Delva, a senior accounting major from Boston, MA and the NPHC President was in charge of putting the step show together. “This year was a good turnout, but the last two years were crowded,” said Delva. “A lot of organizations didn’t commit this year because of different reasons.

To make it better next year we need better promotion and for everyone to commit.”

Students entered Corbett and was greeted with music by DJ Red October, an A&T Alumni. A stage was set up with bright lights flashing everywhere. Osama Bin Drankin, another A&T Alumni, hosted the show. Ray Lewis from the Baltimore Ravens attended as a surprise guest.

First to step was Kappa Kappa Psi, the National Honorary Band Fraternity Inc. Their theme was Michael Jackson. On their video, they played the Michael Jackson Wii game and suddenly became the actual dancers in the game.

Next was Tau Beta Sigma the National Honorary Band Sorority Inc. This was their first time stepping at Aggie Fest since 2006. Their performance started off with a spoken word and had a Janet Jackson “Control” theme.

They also spoke on women inequality and injustice.

The Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma, Fraternity Inc. performed next.  Phi Beta Sigma has won the Homecoming Step Show six consecutive years. Technical difficulties interrupted their “Everybody Hates Chris” theme, but it was soon fixed. Soon after, the Zeta Alpha Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta, Sorority Inc. stepped with a “Z Blu Mafia” theme; someone stole the 2010 Homecoming Step Show Championship Title and the ladies had to find the culprit.

Making a major comeback, the Beta Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha made their debut after being suspended.

Their theme was a “Journey to Redemption” and showed their process to hopefully regaining their title. “It awesome to come back after a year and a half,” said Trevon Christopher, a senior marketing major from Largo, Md. and member of the chapter. “It took long nights and days and a lot of hard work to prepare for this. Our comeback is so big, you can just call this step show Alpha Fest.”

The last participants were the Mu Epsilon Chapter of Omega Psi Phi from Winston Salem State University.

They didn’t have a theme, but they came out ready to step. After everyone performed, a set of judges from different Greek Sororities and Fraternities deliberated on the winners while DJ Red October entertained the crowd. For Sororities, 1st place was Tau Beta Sigma and 2nd place was Zeta Phi Beta. For Fraternities, 1st was Alpha Phi Alpha, 2nd was Kappa Kappa Psi, and 3rd was Phi Beta Sigma.

Students were pleased with Aggie Fest this year. “I barely remember Aggie Fest last year,” said Adria Troy, a sophomore speech pathology major from Fayetteville, NC. “This year was very well organized and the Roll Bounce was a good idea. I enjoyed seeing Kappa Kappa Psi at the step show and hope it will be even better next year.”

• Necole Jackson