Baseball hosts first camp

This past weekend N. C. A&T’s baseball coaches put on a

clinic to help high school players improve their game at the World

War Memorial Stadium. Starting at 9 a.m. and running to around 4

p.m., the clinic ran Saturday and Sunday.

A cold front kept most people indoors this weekend, but it was not a factor for the A&T baseball staff.

This past weekend N. C. A&T’s baseball coaches put on a clinic to help high school players improve their game at the World War Memorial Stadium. Starting at 9 a.m. and running to around 4 p.m., the clinic ran Saturday and Sunday.

The clinic offered help in every aspect of the game including running positional, pitching, offensive, and various other drills.

They even held a practice game to keep the players active. Head coach Joel Sanchez was happy with the turn out for the clinic despite the cold weather.

“I think it shows dedication” Sanchez said, “This cold weather came out of nowhere and they still came.” Coach Sanchez has been very adamant about the baseball program getting involved and helping out within the community since being appointed head coach.

With the coaches and the players running drills on the field, the parents of the players could be found in the stands bundled up.

The clinic drew families from all over, including one father that drove his son from New York just to participate.

“I think the staff is accomplishing their goals of improving the kid’s game here,” the father said.

His child learned about the clinic from his baseball coach back in New York and the father and son began planning to attend the clinic and even about attending A&T. Another parent commented saying his son heard from his coach and really wanted to participate, so they decided to give it a try.

“We want to get them ready for the next level, getting them prepared to play at the college level.” Coach Sanchez continued by saying “This clinic runs today and tomorrow, but they’re going to have to work day in and day out to keep improving.”

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Adrian Ezell, Contributor