Drug violations see increase

Drug violations are seeing a slight increase on N.C. A&T’s

campus.

In 2010 there were 40 cases of drug violations with 38 resulting

in arrests, and two in disciplinary action. Last year, there were

69 cases of drug violations including both arrests and disciplinary

actions – an increase of more than 25 cases.

Drug violations are seeing a slight increase on N.C. A&T’s campus.

In 2010 there were 40 cases of drug violations with 38 resulting in arrests, and two in disciplinary action. Last year, there were 69 cases of drug violations including both arrests and disciplinary actions – an increase of more than 25 cases.

Although it is easy to assume that drugs are becoming more popular on campus, A&T Police Chief Glenn Newell says more people are getting caught with drugs because of an increase in patrol throughout campus.

“We’ve contracted more officers,” he said. “With an increase in enforcement, that is more people that are being detected and handled accordingly.”

Since 2008 roughly 20 additional officers both sworn and non-sworn have been contracted by the university with an aim to combat crime.

There are now 34 sworn police officers on duty, and over 35 in-house security guards.

“We now have more eyes to see if there is anything out of the ordinary,” Newell said. “If you are out on campus at 2 or 3 a.m. you will see security officers patrolling the grounds and if anything unusual happens they can contact UPD immediately.”

With the addition of officers, there also has been an increase of coverage hours. Prior to 2009 security officers only had eight hours of campus coverage.

Now there is 24-hour coverage particularly in female residence halls.

“Prior to 2009, we were primarily in police vehicles patrolling campus,” said Newell. “Now we have police on foot, bicycles, Segways.”

With this increase in both sworn and non-sworn officers, lead patrol officer Olen Gerald says it is easier to detect violators.

“With us having the security inside the residence halls during the day and night, a lot of times they will walk into the dorm and smell something in the hallway,” he said. “They inform us, and we come over and pin-point the area it’s coming from. We catch a lot of stuff with the help of them.”

Gerald goes on to add that marijuana is the most common drug that violators are getting themselves in trouble with. Nearly all violations are due to people smoking this drug.

“It’s in the resident halls. They like to sit in their rooms and smoke,” he said. “Smoking marijuana is the most popular thing to do; they do it more than they drink.”

According to crime statistics from 2011 there were 23 liquor law violations.

That is less than twice the amount of drug violations reported.

Marijuana is the most commonly abused illicit drug in the U.S. according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

This dry, brown and green mix of flowers, stems, seeds, and leaves has been in the forefront of controversy as its more vocal users have urged to legalize the drug.

“I don’t see a problem with this drug,” said an occasional marijuana user who asked to not to be named. “There are way worse drugs out there that have worst affects on people in general.”

According to Gerald, party drugs that are typically associated with college campus such as ecstasy, acid, or mushrooms are not typically found at A&T.

“The party drugs, we don’t have that much here,” he said. “Smoking marijuana is pretty much what they like to do.”

-kcmccrae and follow her on Twitter @Kelcie_McCrae

• Kelcie McCrae, Editor in Chief