Women lose in MEAC tournament

In the quarterfinals of the MEAC tournament, the Lady Aggies suffered a tough loss 82-72 to Howard University.

The MEAC Tournament began for the Lady Aggies March 10 at the Lawrence Joel Coliseum in Winston Salem. North Carolina A&T entered the tournament the No. 3 seed, and began its quest for the MEAC Championship against the winner of a match-up between Howard and Norfolk State University.

Howard defeated the Spartans of Norfolk State University 68-56 to advance in the MEAC Tournament.

The Aggies entered the game with a 1-1 record against HU this season; each team winning on their respective home courts. Each team hoped to come out on top.

“Anything can happen in a tournament,” said Lady Aggie head coach Patricia Cage-Bibbs.

“Anytime you play a team three times you’re hoping you can get all three, but we weren’t able to do that.”

Determination was a key factor in the game for both the Lady Aggies and the Bison, but determination for the Bison was rooted much deeper and would take HU much further.

The Lady Aggies began the game and their tournament berth strong with a winning mindset. The Lady Aggies began the game aggressive on both the offense and defense.

A jumper by senior guard Reisha Bullock capped off a 13-0 run by the Lady Aggies and gave NCA&T a 21-9 advantage with 12:31 left on the clock.

The Lady Aggies would continue to be aggressive on offense and pushed its lead to as many as 22 points.

With just over six minutes remaining in the first half, the Lady Bison began to pull within A&T outscoring the Lady Aggies 19-7 to end the half.

Although HU began a run of their own, the Lady Aggies remained in the lead and began the second half with a 43-33 advantage.

The second half of play was more competitive than the first and the Lady Aggies found themselves fighting for a victory and a spot in the next round of the MEAC tournament.

The Lady Aggies were not victorious.

HU began the second half outscoring the Lady Aggies 13-6 to tie the game 49-49 at the 14:13 mark.

Over the next 11 minutes the two teams tied the game five times and battled back and forth for control of the game.

The Lady Bison would come out on top.

With 3:21 left in the game the HU began a 10-0 run that would end the game with the Lady Bison on top 82-72.

HU outscored the Lady Aggies 49-29 in the second half to gain a victory.

Freshman guard Mikala Scott led A&T with 17 points. Sophomore guard JaQuayla Berry added 13 points and 7 rebounds. Bullock added 13 points and senior forward Jaleesa Sams recorded 8 points 8 rebounds and 6 assists in the A&T loss.

Despite a dreadful end to the season, three Lady Aggies received All-MEAC recognition.  

Berry received first team All-MEAC recognition, Sams received second team recognition and Scott made the All-MEAC rookie team.

Saadia Doyle led the Lady Bison and all scorers with 28 points and 9 nine rebounds. Tamoria Holmes added 26 points for HU and, Cheyen Curley-Payne recorded 16 points and 7 rebounds.

Bibbs’ is proud of the fight in her Lady Aggies and is looking forward to next season.

“During the season our ladies fought and they won some games some people said they shouldn’t have won,” said Bibbs.

“The most positive thing I can get out of this is that we are looking forward to next season. We’re looking forward to a really great season next year.”

• Lauren Morgan