Budget-Friendly Things to do in Greensboro

Published October 15, 2014

Laci OllisonWord Editor 

During the time that I have been a student here at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, I have heard a number of of students make the same general remark: “Greensboro is so boring.”

To be honest, I didn’t like Greensboro when I moved here my freshman year. Not that I could really complain though. I grew up in a small town on the eastern coast of North Carolina. To me, Greensboro would be considered “the big city.”

Since then, I have learned to love the city that I now call my second home. Greensboro has grown on me. If you take some time to look and explore, you will see that the “Gate City” actually has a lot of fun things to offer its citizens.

Besides the night clubs that line downtown Greensboro’s Elm and Greene Streets, downtown Greensboro offers its visitors an eclectic variety of shops and restaurants for any interest.

Scuppernong Bookstore is one of Elm Street’s newest additions. Functioning as a bookstore, library, and a café, Scuppernong also has a thriving poetic community. Throughout the week, various spoken word and poetry events are hosted in this quaint little store.

Almost directly across the street from Scuppernong is Cheesecake’s by Alex. As a sugar lover, this locally owned bakery is like heaven on earth for me! Alex’s also offers free WIFI to its patrons. Studying with sweets? Can life get any better?

If you are looking to accessorize your next outfit, Mary’s Jewelry Box should be your next destination. Mary’s has cute vintage jewelry that is perfect for a college budget!

The city of Greensboro Parks and Recreation department has many parks throughout Greensboro.

Located in downtown Greensboro, Center City Park is my favorite! The park has free WIFI, a fountain, plenty of outdoor seating space, and green space as well. It is perfect for studying outside or doing homework on a good weather day.

Country Park is also one of my favorites. Perfect for taking a walk or a jog on the parks trail, you can also find a small lake with paddle boats.

Year-round, festivals are held throughout Greensboro. They offer a fun way for locals to network, and experience different cultures.

First Friday serves as downtown Greensboro’s monthly open house and is held on the first Friday of each month. On this day, participating shops and restaurants stay open from 6-9 p.m. and feature local artists showcasing their talents.  Participating shops display green balloons outside of their locations. These events are also free and open to the public.

Festival of Lights is a yearly event held in downtown Greensboro at the beginning of December. During this event, attendees can experience a musical stroll down Elm street featuring local artists performing Christmas songs, a holiday indie market, the lighting of the Christmas tree, and much more!

There are many great things about Greensboro. You just have to look, have an open mind, and take some time to explore! The city has a lot of activities that are perfect for a college budget.

-Email Laci at

[email protected]

and follow her on twitter 

@laciollison