Progam honors women for second year

On March 24, the class of 2006 presented the 2nd annual Tribute to Black Women, a program giving honor to African-American women not only from North Carolina A&T State University but throughout all communities. This program was created to celebrate and honor the many achievements of black women. S. Raschaad Hoggard was the chairperson for the event.

The class of 2006 awarded an A&T graduating senior, distinguished faculty member and servant of the community for their outstanding leadership and hard work.

Each award given out that evening not only recognized the recipients, but also the powerful woman in which the award was named.

The graduating senior award is named in honor of Sandrea Williamson. Williamson has been a professional educator for 35 years, as well as assistant director of the University Honors Program and a member of the Guilford Battleground Company Board of Directors.

The recipients of the Sandra Williamson Woman of Excellence Award were political science major Victoria Cejas and accounting major Akilah C. Thompson.

The distinguished faculty award is named in honor of Dr. Velma Speight-Buford. Speight-Buford is an alumnus of North Carolina A&T State University, a retired educator and a member of the Board of Trustees.

The recipient of The Dr. Velma Speight-Buford Distinguished Faculty Award was Dr. Gwendolyn Highsmith-Quick, a professor in the School of Business.

The community service award is named in honor of Dr. Alma S. Adams. Adams is an alumnus of North Carolina A&T State University, a former Greensboro City Councilwoman and a member of the North Carolina House of Representatives.

The recipients of Dr. Alma S. Adams Community Service Award were Dr. Lucille Piggott and Dr. Nelloise Divers Watkins, both retired educators.

In attendance for this event were Chancellor James C. Renick; SGA President Calvin F. William, Jr; Bennett College SGA President Rachel Silver and 14th President of Bennett College Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole.

Cole was the guest speaker for the ceremony. During her speech, Cole reminded the audience of powerful black women such Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Sojourner Truth and Mary McLeod Bethune. Cole’s speech was a means to motivate young women to remain as positive leaders within their communities.

• Alexis Mason