Tips for planning your spring break road trip

Spring break is here and you and your crew are hitting the road to explore some of the best destinations our nation has to offer. Driving can be an ideal way to travel the country as it gives you the flexibility to design the itinerary you want, and visit the places that have the most interest to you.

Before you head out, you should prepare so that you don’t have any unexpected hurdles along the way. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when taking up the open road, so go through this checklist prior to your spring break road trip.

Tune up your vehicle

It’s important to check your vehicle to make sure it’s ready to rack up some major miles. No one wants to find themselves well on their way to their destination only to break down in the middle of nowhere. Here’s what you or your mechanic should check:

1. Tire tread and proper inflation

2. Hoses and belts

3. Fluid levels

4. Brakes

5. Heat and air conditioning

Organize navigation

These days you have many options to prevent getting lost while on your family road trip. If you have a GPS, this may be your main tool for getting from point A to point B. Although a GPS is convenient, it’s not always fool proof; it may not have the most recent map software or it can experience technical glitches. Printing off maps you downloaded from the Internet, or purchasing current state maps to keep in your car, is a smart back-up idea.

Pack for minor emergencies

Important safety tips for spring break include preparing two basic kits to bring in your vehicle. First, purchase or make a first aid kit. Make sure your kit is fully stocked with bandages, basic medicine and antiseptic. A second kit to bring is a basic tool kit. This should include tools like a hammer, wrench and pliers for minor auto repairs. Even if you have a cell phone, preparing with basic items in your car can help save spring break travel from becoming a spring break disaster.

Prepare for driving comfort

As you take turns driving, make sure you have everything you need to stay comfortable. Some items that are sure to come in handy include sunglasses to prevent eye strain and sunscreen to prevent sun burn. Having a seat cushion or lumbar support can help prevent a sore back. If you’re planning on driving for the bulk of the trip, you may want to bring your own music so you can listen to the tunes you prefer.