LIVING IN THE CYBER WORLD:

As of February 2011, there are over 156 million public blogs in existence. What started as a fad has skyrocketed into a worldwide phenomenon.  

Today, blogs compete with websites, magazines and newspapers for readers and advertisement space.

What used to be mainly a pastime for bored web-surfers has now turned into profitable careers for many people, and the students of N.C. A&T SU are no different. Many Aggies have taken to blogging, whether it’s to brand themselves, start a business, showcase their talents, or past the time.

“I started my blog for personal reasons as well as professional. I wanted to have something that was my own, that had my ideas, my likings, everything how I wanted it. I wanted people to get to know a little bit more about me with what I liked, and why I may have liked it,” said Ashley Vaughn, a junior Journalism & Mass Communications major from Indiana. “My professional reasons were just for me to be able to put on my resume that I do have a blog, and I know how to operate one.

Blogs are so popular now, and when they see it there on my resume they may click on it and love my style of writing and what I have to say. So it really was to just further advertise myself, but in a more fun and unique way.”

“I’m a journalism major and I love to write and talk! I figured why not build a site in which I can do what I love and show others what I do. It is in some way a resume site because one can see a lot of things I do,” said Ashley Washington, a senior Journalism & Mass Communications major from Ohio.

A blog is a type of website or part of a website usually made by an individual consisting of regular entries of commentary, descriptions, videos, and/or pictures of various subject content.

Commonly, entries are displayed in reverse-chronological order. The term blog is a blend of the term web log. Most blogs are interactive; in other words, visitors can come leave comments and more, thanks to various widgets available on most blog sites. It is their interactivity that distinguishes blogs from other static websites.

For the most part, blogs either provide content or news on a particular subject, or function as an online-diary. “There are so many blogs out there, but I think the main purpose for them is to inform and entertain. It’s just another way to let people know what is going on, how you may feel about something, or just simply another avenue of self expression,” said Vaughn.

“There are many purposes of blogs. Some purposes are to expose individuals, some are for gossip/ entertainment, some are resume blogs,” said Washington.

Although the blogosphere has been harshly criticized for its lack of ethics and authenticity,  one cannot deny its extreme presence and influence in society. From the President of the U.S., to celebrities like Kim Kardashian, to The New York Times; everyone has a blog.

“My favorite blogs that I read daily are Necole Bitchie, and various fashion magazines. I do this to stay abrupt on the news and fashion industry as well as keep my passion for blogging about what I love, to keep that going,” said Vaughn

“My favorite blogs are NicoleBitchie.com, KimKardashian.com, and WorldStarHipHop.com,” said Washington.

Like people, blogs come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. Vaughn is the newest addition to the blogosphere. She started her blog only a couple of months ago using Tumblr. “My blog is about the latest fashion trends mixed in with a little entertainment news and my music choices that I like, that may be new and I want my readers to listen and hear about it,” explained Vaughn.

Washington has been blogging since 2009. “I went through a free web builder site.

In 2010 I bought a domain and I have been updating it since. My blog is about me. It includes tabs such as Style, Channel Washington, Top News Washington, and more. The content varies. I have photos of me and some of the things I do. I have text in every portion of the site, videos, and audio are included in Channel Washington and Top News Washington,” said Washington.

Mia Taylor, a senior Journalism & Mass Communications major, is another A&T student who runs a blog. Her blog is called Diary of a Fatshionista. “It is about my personal style and plus size fashion,” said the Charlotte native. Like Washington, Taylor has been blogging since 2009. Unlike the other to bloggers, Taylor had turned her blog into a business by allowing companies to advertise on her blog. “I have sold advertisements in the past, but I stopped because it compromised the purpose of my blog. I have an online store, Shop Mia’s Closet, where a lot of my followers are customers,” said Taylor.

She has big plans for her blog. She wants it to become a major online publication where she can employ others.

Washington says that there are also other bloggers on campus as well. “I believe the most well known blog and the blog that makes the most money at

A&T is Jolie Sanchez’s blog. Her website is www.MissLs.net,” said Washington. According to Sanchez’s blog, she started it to “showcase diverse spectrums of urban culture, especially underground and classic rap music.” Her blog has both advertisements and a link where you can donate money via paypal.

Joilee Havner is a sophomore Journalism & Mass Communications major from Greensboro, N.C. Havner actually has two blogs, both with very different content.

“One of my blogs focuses of African American fashion, vintage, entertainers and underground entrepreneurs. I use this blog to post pictures of streetwalkers going about their daily lives to famous stars who are rocking something fashionable.  The other blog I own is on Hairlista.com, which I started a year ago as well.

It is for people who care about their hair growth, managing and creating styles. It serves as an outlet to join together different women from all over who enjoy African American hair care,” said Havner.

It is clear that blogging is one trend that has not passed Aggieland. Whether its for business, pleasure, or both, people all over the world have taken to this new pastime.

• Sylvia Obell