Lady Aggies split series with Spartans

On Thursday afternoon, at the Lady Aggies Softball Complex, the North Carolina A&T Softball team split their double header with the UNC Greensboro Spartans. The Aggies’ 3-2 win over the Spartans marked their first win in 17 attempts.

The Spartans beat A&T 4-3 in the second game of the double header.

Ryanne Hill had two RBIs, while Yahamma White and Ashley Carter added two hits apiece with White scoring two runs.

Pitcher Jennifer Luper improved to 11-7 after striking out eight Spartans while allowing only one run.

To open the seventh inning Yahamma White single to center field that followed a bunt by Carter.

With a 1-1 pitch by Angel Hannah, Ryanne Hill hit a groundball allowing White to score.Hill’s first RBI came earlier in the game when the Aggies were trailing 2-0. The Spartans 2-0 lead came off back-to-back walks in the first inning.

Hill led the Aggies in the sixth with an infield single followed by singles by both Tangie Conover and Jessie Larson. Conover would go on to score on a walk-off-single. In the second game, White, Conover and Larson led the Aggies with two hits apiece. The Aggie Softball team forced the Florida A&M rattlers to extra innings on Sunday but did not come out on top. Rattlers defeated the Aggies 6-5 at the Lady Rattlers Softball Complex.   

Jessie Larson led the Aggies going 2-for-3 with an RBI and freshman Amanda McIntyre added two hits and a run.  

Sunday’s game marked McIntyre’s second start of the season. In the fifth inning the Aggies were able to cut FAMU’s 3-0 lead to 3-2. The Aggies’ began their rally with an Amanda McIntyre single.  

White would follow with a single that allowed McIntyre to advance to third base. The bases were loaded with a Ashley Carter walk by Rattler pitcher Amanda Reyes.  McIntyre and White would go on to score after a mishandled grounder cutting the Rattler’s lead to 3-2.

FAMU scored two runs in the fifth off RBI singles and would lead the Aggies by three. Going into the seventh, the Aggies trailed the Rattlers 5-4. Tangie Conover hit a groundball to the shortstop which would have ended the game but the throw was errant.

Larson hit a RBI triple after Danielle Nguyen pinch-ran for Conover to tie the game at 5-5. Pitcher Sasha Philpot did not allow the Rattlers to score in the seventh inning, which took the game into an extra inning.

Harold Joyce started the eighth inning on second base for the Rattlers and would score the game-winning run off a fielding error by the Aggies.

The Lady Aggies will host Virginia Tech Thursday in a game that was rescheduled. They will follow Thursday’s home game with a trip  to Norfolk, Va. to take on Norfolk State in a tripleheader series. 

• Lauren Morgan