Lyseum series brings ballet to campus

The Lyceum Series held its third program of the year featuring ‘Complexions Contemporary Ballet Company’ on last Wednesday. The dance company performed in Harrison Auditorium, which was filled with the promise of great dancing as well as pleasant surprises.

Doors opened 30 minutes prior to the start of the show as guests rushed into the auditorium seats in hopes of getting close to the stage. A crowd of over 200 filled the seats of Harrison from young children to the elderly. Among N.C. A&T students and people from around the Greensboro community, Chancellor Harold Martin also came out to show support for the Lyceum Series program. As all of the seats were gradually filled, the excitement swelled throughout the crowd.

“[It was a] very different, good way to see things beyond collegiate level,” said freshman, Alexi Pippins.” She went on to add that she really enjoyed the show and would definitely want them to return.

Complexions Contemporary ballet was founded in 1994 by Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson, former members of the Alvin Ailey American dance Theatre. The company has been performing for 15 years now and is currently stationed in New York City. Many members of the company have been a part of other all dance groups and have been featured on hit T.V. shows around the world. They have also received degrees in visual and performing arts.

• Kelsey Fair and Kelsey Merritt, contributors