On to the Next One

Making the transition from a freshman to graduation is somewhat of a bittersweet experience, but understanding that the change has to be made is a concept worth cherishing.

Growing up I always thought the college experience would be parallel to the television sitcom a “Different World”, however I’m humbled and appreciative that this journey will last more than in a 30 minute segment.

Even though the cast members varied from episode to episode the central theme remained the same for being honest, objective, and patient helped me get through the process even when the hurdles seemed highest.

Coming from New York City stepping into unfamiliar territory wasn’t as difficult as a thought it would be, but I must admit not seeing landmarks surrounding my every move was an adjustment to say the least.

Taking advantage of all the resources available to me in my earlier years was something I took for granted, however I’m glad to say that through it all I gradually got the memo.

Understanding that hard work and dedication ultimately will separate me from the rest of the pack, I’ve consciously made the effort to put my best foot forward and hopefully I won’t step on too many toes.

Becoming more professional and recognizing that everything I do is a reflection of me and my skill set, we all as students have to raise the bar to make sure that were maximizing our full potential.

Reflecting on my entire four years I’d like to say that I had no regrets but that wouldn’t be truthful, for my only regret was not embracing The “Aggie Nation” earlier in my academic career.

As I graduate I’ve come to grips with recognizing that walking across a stage is only the beginning of my journey, for life in general as Big Brother Anjan Basu would say “Life is a bunch of treadmills”, and quite frankly I feel I’m prepared so it’s “On to the Next One”.   

• Carlton Brown