How to stay active this fall without letting foot pain slow you down

(ARA) – Fall is our last chance to take advantage of the remaining warm days of the year, so many of us are getting outside and being as active as possible. If spending all that extra time on your feet has them aching, you need to know how to get them back to feeling better as quickly as possible. After all, you don’t want to let sore feet stop you from either getting in some extra runs, or wearing your favorite summer sandals and shoes.

Though we often neglect to pay attention to our feet, when things start to go awry, it’s not something you can ignore. Everyone knows the ache that comes with a long day spent in less-than-ideal shoes, but problems like heel spurs, corns or arch and heel pain take the pain to a whole different level. To avoid having to deal with these problems or even more severe conditions like plantar fasciitis, it’s important to start taking care of your feet. Here are some tips that can ease your sore feet.

For athletes

Even though you’re not a pro, if you’re serious about your sports hobby, you work your feet harder than many other people do.

* Whether you’re a runner, a forward on a soccer team, an equestrian or the leader of a kickball team, get shoes that really fit and that are appropriate to your sport. Seek out a shop that not only sells shoes but has a staff trained in fitting shoes appropriately.

* Take a tip from the pros. Major league baseball and NFL teams have doctors on staff to help their valuable athletes, but they also use products like the Acu-Life Therapeutic Foot Massager to ease foot pain. Though it’s used by the pros, it’s easy for anyone to find at drugstores like Walgreens. The massager features a hollow tube that can be filled with hot or cold water for a more therapeutic massage that addresses different kinds of pain.

For women

A study from the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) found that 39 percent of women wear high heels every day. The more shocking finding was that 75 percent of those women reported a foot problem related to their high heels.

* Though most women aren’t walking down the street in some of the most shocking stilettos that grace fashion runways, they still put extra stress on their feet by stepping out in high heels that often don’t have arch support or that cause heel pain. If fashion comes first for you, consider looking into some of the increasingly high-tech shoe inserts and arch supports that can be discreetly slipped into many shoes – even peep-toe styles.

* Don’t discount the fact that your feet need medical treatment too. If your feet are really causing problems for you, it might be time to do more than switch into a pair of supportive flats – contact a podiatrist. They’ll be able to help you come up with solutions and treatments. They might also suggest an Acu-Life Therapeutic Foot Massager, which has been approved by the APMA. The unique design helps relieve pain and reduce stress by allowing you to vary pressure for a gently, soothing or deep-tissue massage.

Ignoring foot pain will only make things worse – you could be sidelined from your sport or have to wear less-than-fashionable footwear. Taking simple steps every day to take care of your feet will pay off in the short term and in the long run.

Courtesy of ARAcontent