Make it last: How to care for designer handbags

Many of the clothes you buy change with the seasons, and eventually end up going to Goodwill or into a yard sale. As styles change, so does your wardrobe, but a few items can last well beyond a year’s worth of wear. Handbags are one category of accessories that have the ability to last – and even become heirlooms – if you buy quality products and care for them vigilantly.

Buying designer purses isn’t as far out of financial reach as you might imagine. Very often, you can buy the Hermes and Marc Jacobs handbags you see celebrities carrying by finding them on the Web at discounted prices. Just be sure to buy from reputable sites that are selling authentic bags.

Designer bags come in all shapes and sizes, from tiny, crystal-encrusted Judith Leiber minaudieres to oversize leather Gucci handbags and totes, but some rules apply to caring for any bag – no matter the style. Above all, do everything you can to keep it clean. Keep it off the ground and away from dusty, dirty environments and you’ll have a lot less cleaning to worry about. Most designer bags also come with protective sleeves for good reason: store your purses in their covers to help keep them clean and in good condition.

Follow these ideas for care of designer handbags and you’ll be protecting your investment.

* Make sure your hands are clean when handling the bag – especially if it’s a light color. This includes making sure that your hands are free of make-up and that any hand cream you might use is fully absorbed before you touch your bag.

* Pay attention to the weather forecast. If there’s a blizzard or a downpour on the way, leave your best handbag at home. Moisture can damage many materials used in making handbags – even the nylon sometimes used for Prada handbags.

* When storing bags, remember that they need air. Putting them in air-tight plastic containers will not allow them to breathe and could even cause mold to form. That’s part of why handbag makers supply dust covers made of natural materials. To help maintain the bag’s form in storage, fill it with bubble wrap, tissue paper or other acid-free paper.

* When not in use, wrap any hardware on your purse, like buckles, rivets or chains, with cloth or bubble wrap. This will prevent them from marking the body of the bag or other bags stored nearby. If the bag has a strap or handle chain, tuck it inside the bag.

* To clean or condition bags, take the material into account. Use professional grade leather cleaner on leather bags, specifically designed suede protector on suede bags and a barely damp cloth on nylon bags. Always be sure to test the cleaning agent in an inconspicuous spot first. If you have questions, contact the maker of the bag for cleaning recommendations.