Local Attorney to run for U.S. Senate

With so many new faces in politics skeptics are becoming rather intrigued by Kenneth Lewis, the prestigious attorney from Durham, NC whose innovative platforms and refreshing ideas could turn things around.

Lewis, who graduated from both Duke University and Harvard Law School, emphasizes the importance of job creation and helping communities revitalize themselves.”Jobs are the most important issue putting people to work doing the things we need are key,” said Lewis.

Lewis who has spent over 20 years as a business and finance lawyer wants everyone to know that he plans on working for the people, and understands the power of reaching out to those who rarely get heard.

“I’m a big fan of doing two things at once,” said Lewis.

Being the grandson of a slave and leaving a comfortable seat at a lofty law firm, Lewis has predominately spent the majority of his career helping entrepreneurs create job growth, community development, and has served on the Board of Directors of The Center for Community Self Help.

Lewis’s plans on addressing education retention as well as implement new and refreshing programs that can help students from all backgrounds prepare for the real world.

“We have to be more innovative in the way we teach kids. Watching them from the crib, to career, and beyond,” says Lewis.

Focusing on lowering the cost of higher education is a high priority for Lewis for he feels that making things more affordable for the everyday student and their families are vital, and will lead the economy in the right direction.

“Were going to have to reduce the cost of higher education, I think a percentage of financial aid packages, should be grants not loans,” says Lewis.

One platform in particular Lewis wants to address is the changing trends in education, understanding the new ways students are learning and implementing new programs to inform them are key.

Helping teachers but making them accountable for low test scores are all ways Lewis feels can create progress.

Lewis’ overall agenda is to create jobs in industries that are growing such as alternative energy, financial services, as well as manufacturing.

He hopes to represent the long-term common interests of the people, promoting more transparency, and reduce the role of financing in regards to politics.

• Carlton Brown